Has the "Losing Control" bug been solved yet?

I really love UT.
I stopped playing it when it started doing that weird bug, where you
suddenly lose all mouse+keyboard control, and yet the game keeps running.

I tried UT2003, finally happy that I could play Unreal again... It did the
same.

Today I decided to go back to playing UT again.
Fresh install, same system, same problem.
Fresh install, New system, same problem.

Has anyone figured out what it is, yet??
7 answers Last reply
More about losing control solved

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:18:31 GMT, "Jayenkai" <jnkltd@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >I really love UT.
    >I stopped playing it when it started doing that weird bug, where you
    >suddenly lose all mouse+keyboard control, and yet the game keeps running.
    >
    >I tried UT2003, finally happy that I could play Unreal again... It did the
    >same.
    >
    >Today I decided to go back to playing UT again.
    >Fresh install, same system, same problem.
    >Fresh install, New system, same problem.
    >
    >Has anyone figured out what it is, yet??

    A problem with your setup?

    Not trying to sound trite, but you have to ask yourself.... if this
    was a common thing, would the games be so popular? And the fact that
    it's happening in two different games (they *are* different) should
    tell you something.

    "Jayenkai" <jnkltd@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > I really love UT.
    > I stopped playing it when it started doing that weird bug, where you
    > suddenly lose all mouse+keyboard control, and yet the game keeps running.
    >
    > I tried UT2003, finally happy that I could play Unreal again... It did the
    > same.
    >
    > Today I decided to go back to playing UT again.
    > Fresh install, same system, same problem.
    > Fresh install, New system, same problem.
    >
    > Has anyone figured out what it is, yet??

    There are 2 things I can think of here...

    Either it's the problem on some servers where you are stuck in place. Sometimes
    you also lose your weapons (even the hud doesn't come up). This is because the
    server is too lagged or underpowered.

    The other is when you keep running or firing or whatever you were doing but have
    no controls, this is because you have been disconnected from the server but the
    game hasn't realized it yet.

    This is assuming you are talking about online play...anything else would likely
    be a problem with your setup.

    "Jayenkai" <jnkltd@softhome.net> writes:
    >I really love UT.
    >I stopped playing it when it started doing that weird bug, where you
    >suddenly lose all mouse+keyboard control, and yet the game keeps running.

    "that weird bug" happening in the original UT and UT2003? I find it hard to
    believe this is an actual UT bug. More likely something in your computer.

    Just a wild guess - do you use a KVM (keyboard / video / mouse) switch, or
    plug your mouse and keyboard into a hub instead of right into the back of
    your computer? A lot of the supposedly "smart" KVMs, and a lot of cheaper
    hubs, often have a problem with 'forgetting' what kind of device is
    connected, and report to the computer some generic keyboard/mouse type.
    When this happens, programs running might freak out, especially if the hub
    reports the correct mouse type being discontinued as well. Sometimes, you
    can diagnose this from the system control panel.

    I had wacky problems with keys sticking and the mouse suddenly doing 'exit,
    stage left' maneuvers from a dead stop, in UT and other programs. The day I
    pitched the %$#@ belkin KVM in the trash and replaced it with a dumb
    switch (which was a lot cheaper, incidentally), the problems all went away. *
    like corkscrews.

    "Jayenkai" <jnkltd@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >I really love UT.
    > I stopped playing it when it started doing that weird bug, where you
    > suddenly lose all mouse+keyboard control, and yet the game keeps running.
    >
    > I tried UT2003, finally happy that I could play Unreal again... It did
    > the
    > same.
    >
    > Today I decided to go back to playing UT again.
    > Fresh install, same system, same problem.
    > Fresh install, New system, same problem.
    >
    > Has anyone figured out what it is, yet??

    Ah yes, I forgot I had the exact same problem ages ago. It was when I first
    installed windows xp. Was quite frustrating in the middle of a clan game
    when your controls just stopped and the only way out was ctrl+alt+del. I'm
    sorry to say I can't actually remember what I did, if anything, to solve it.
    It was probably a reinstall of somesort.

    --
    huFFamOOse
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I've had a problem in some games, when some other program would steal
    the focus, but I would still see the full-screen display of the game.
    Usually, I could fix that by ALT-TABbing out and then back in to the game.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    pv+usenet@pobox.com (Paul Vader) wrote:

    >"that weird bug" happening in the original UT and UT2003? I find it hard to
    >believe this is an actual UT bug. More likely something in your computer.
    >
    >Just a wild guess - do you use a KVM (keyboard / video / mouse) switch, or
    >plug your mouse and keyboard into a hub instead of right into the back of
    >your computer? A lot of the supposedly "smart" KVMs, and a lot of cheaper
    >hubs, often have a problem with 'forgetting' what kind of device is
    >connected, and report to the computer some generic keyboard/mouse type.
    >When this happens, programs running might freak out, especially if the hub
    >reports the correct mouse type being discontinued as well. Sometimes, you
    >can diagnose this from the system control panel.
    >
    >I had wacky problems with keys sticking and the mouse suddenly doing 'exit,
    >stage left' maneuvers from a dead stop, in UT and other programs. The day I
    >pitched the %$#@ belkin KVM in the trash and replaced it with a dumb
    >switch (which was a lot cheaper, incidentally), the problems all went away. *

    No. I have the same problem, and was told by someone it had to do
    with DirectX. If you use GL (?), you supposedly don't have this
    problem. I don't use GL because it's too damn dark, so I don't know
    if it's true.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Todd wrote:

    > No. I have the same problem, and was told by someone it had to do
    > with DirectX. If you use GL (?), you supposedly don't have this
    > problem. I don't use GL because it's too damn dark, so I don't know
    > if it's true.

    There is a replacement OpenGL Driver that fixes the brightness issue
    with nvidia cards.

    I put it here some time ago: http://www.digdilem.org/ut/OpenGLDrv.dll

    Just drop it into your ut ./System directory to replace the one that's
    there (you might want to keep a backup of that, just in case)

    Easy fix, all is bright under OpenGL again.

    --
    Flash

Games Bug Video Games