System Config Utility Message

jr

Every time I boot or reboot my computer, I get this message:

"You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way
Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective
mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time
Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows normally
or undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

<check box> Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration
Utility when Windows starts.

Checking/unchecking the box makes no difference, this message comes up again
at restart. Each time I click "OK", msconfig opens, and it doesn't matter if
I select Normal or Selective, the message comes up again. It's driving me
nuts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
JR

JR wrote:
> Every time I boot or reboot my computer, I get this message:
>
> "You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to
> the way Windows starts.
>
> The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or
> Selective mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility
> to run every time Windows starts.
>
> Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows
> normally or undo the changes you made using the System Configuration
> Utility.
>
> <check box> Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration
> Utility when Windows starts.
>
> Checking/unchecking the box makes no difference, this message comes
> up again at restart. Each time I click "OK", msconfig opens, and it
> doesn't matter if I select Normal or Selective, the message comes up
> again. It's driving me nuts.

Run MSCONFIG again and recheck everything you unchecked in the STARTUP tab.
If you want to get rid of the things you unchecked permanently - do it
properly by going to the described location (shown there0 and remove it
completely.

--
<- Shenan ->

jr

Will try that, thanks; which brings me to another question. If I go into
regedit and see folders belonging to programs I uninstalled ages ago (and no
other programs utilize anything to do w/ those programs), can I delete those
keys without fear of screwing anything up?

Thanks, again. Really appreciate it.

JR

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> JR wrote:
> > Every time I boot or reboot my computer, I get this message:
> >
> > "You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to
> > the way Windows starts.
> >
> > The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or
> > Selective mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility
> > to run every time Windows starts.
> >
> > Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows
> > normally or undo the changes you made using the System Configuration
> > Utility.
> >
> > <check box> Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration
> > Utility when Windows starts.
> >
> > Checking/unchecking the box makes no difference, this message comes
> > up again at restart. Each time I click "OK", msconfig opens, and it
> > doesn't matter if I select Normal or Selective, the message comes up
> > again. It's driving me nuts.
>
> Run MSCONFIG again and recheck everything you unchecked in the STARTUP tab.
> If you want to get rid of the things you unchecked permanently - do it
> properly by going to the described location (shown there0 and remove it
> completely.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Nope. Those registry keys aren't doing your computer a bit of harm, but one
slipup in the registry can do lots of harm. Leave 'em be.

(Sorry Shenan, just happened to be passing by.)

Modem Ani

"JR" <JR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will try that, thanks; which brings me to another question. If I go into
> regedit and see folders belonging to programs I uninstalled ages ago (and
> no
> other programs utilize anything to do w/ those programs), can I delete
> those
> keys without fear of screwing anything up?
>
> Thanks, again. Really appreciate it.
>
> JR
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> JR wrote:
>> > Every time I boot or reboot my computer, I get this message:
>> >
>> > "You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to
>> > the way Windows starts.
>> >
>> > The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or
>> > Selective mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility
>> > to run every time Windows starts.
>> >
>> > Choose the Normal Startup mode on the general tab to start Windows
>> > normally or undo the changes you made using the System Configuration
>> > Utility.
>> >
>> > <check box> Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration
>> > Utility when Windows starts.
>> >
>> > Checking/unchecking the box makes no difference, this message comes
>> > up again at restart. Each time I click "OK", msconfig opens, and it
>> > doesn't matter if I select Normal or Selective, the message comes up
>> > again. It's driving me nuts.
>>
>> Run MSCONFIG again and recheck everything you unchecked in the STARTUP
>> tab.
>> If you want to get rid of the things you unchecked permanently - do it
>> properly by going to the described location (shown there0 and remove it
>> completely.
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

jr

enough said. thanks a lot.

JR