Can ATI handle Video editing?

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I know for a fact the When i comes to HD Video editing, the CPU usually does the work. But of course the video card helps too right?
So, i was wondering. Will an ATI HD 5770 do the job? my first choice was an GTS 250, then A GTX 470, then finally a GTX 260 but they ran out of stock. Anyway, there is also a dilemma on my proccy since its just an Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8ghz, Although i am planning to get a Quad core soon, this proccy would be temporary to any of these vid cards.

my main question is.

ATI - all play no work? or can it handle both?

Nvidia - with its fancy CUDA and openCL stuff, can it handle all work? then maybe a little play? depending on the series right?

thanks guys.

Solution
Magix will make no difference, but Vegas has better AMD plug-ins, Adobe (only in CS5) has MPE with 1 out of the 3 features getting some acceleration with nV Quadro cards and the GTX285 (but not for the nV cards you have listed without a hack) with all of the other features being OpenGL (not CL) accelerated for both platforms. So it depends on the version if you're using an older version, and if you take too long moving to Adobe, then you are likely to find CS6 move to OpenCL for both as Adobe has already said is their plan but they hadn't an option since OpenCL took so long in coming they couldn't develop for it.

Most video editing won't require much grunt work unless you're doing multiple streams/layers, so unless you know the...
Magix will make no difference, but Vegas has better AMD plug-ins, Adobe (only in CS5) has MPE with 1 out of the 3 features getting some acceleration with nV Quadro cards and the GTX285 (but not for the nV cards you have listed without a hack) with all of the other features being OpenGL (not CL) accelerated for both platforms. So it depends on the version if you're using an older version, and if you take too long moving to Adobe, then you are likely to find CS6 move to OpenCL for both as Adobe has already said is their plan but they hadn't an option since OpenCL took so long in coming they couldn't develop for it.

Most video editing won't require much grunt work unless you're doing multiple streams/layers, so unless you know the specific need look for the features you like the most from what's available.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS