bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Heres what i have now. Antec Sonata case,Intel Duo E6750, 2.66 Ghz with a Gigabyte P35-DS3L MB,2GB Corsair RAM, 200 GB HD, Thermaltake 700W PS, 8800GT Video card.
I also use Verizon DSL which isn't the greatest but its good enough at least for now. I run mostly racing and flight sims, my favorites at the moment are iRacing and Over Flanders Fields.iRacing runs great with 150 -270 FPS, OFF on the other hand just makes it with around 50-60 FPS. This is running at 1680x1050 on a 22"Samsung T220, which is perfect for my setup anyways.
I would like to use the case or something similar and power supply, and I'm also looking at the GTX 460 1GB video card. Also I would like to switch over to Windows 7 64Bit. Heres where it gets interesting :Do I go with an LGA1156 or a LGA1366 Motherboard? I would prefer Intel, even though I realize the AMD route is a little cheaper.
I really want to learn the ins and outs of PC's, but at the same time I really need a PC I can count on all the time.
The Gigabyte and Asus MB's seem to be the way to go as far as reliability, but Asrock seems a possibility as well.
The I5-750 seems to be a good compromise as far as performance and price, but the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R seems a great buy, but that won't take the I5-750, and I have to spend almost $100 more for say a I7-920 or 930.
So there you have it and any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as any books or sites you might suggest I read to build it.
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this month

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using-Thermaltake 700W or could be replaced as well.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use a Gigabyte or Asus MB and Intel CPU

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

Bruce

bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I still would prefer to go with Intel CPU and MB, but most of the other choices seem good. Still not sure about switching to a new case, I may just keep the one I have and keep the Power supply as well. I must say though since I'm trying to save a few bucks that AMD sure is tempting !
Any other suggestions?

bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
3 responses and I'm done already? The AMD does seem more future proof, but a little more info would be better also. As I asked in the first thread, are there any good books to use or read that would help a 1st time builder ? Or any threads that would help with a 1st build ?.
Also how about the Antec Proto case at newEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129086&cm_re=antec_sonata-_-11-129-086-_-Product
Also that MSI MB looks like it has had issues before, any suggestions that are similar from Asus or Gigabyte?

bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Does no one use books for references? I realize its hard to keep up with the changing technology, but I wanted to learn a little more about what actually goes on inside a PC.
Any other MB's that you might suggest also?And How about that Antec proto case as well?
Just trying to get as much info as I can !

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
If you insist on a book, just go to a book store and flip through some books in the computer section, and see if any are to your liking.

But no, I think most people just rely on friendly forums, like Toms, and on just searching the web. There is a lot of information, and a lot of the people that help other with this will just post tutorials online.

mrhoshos96

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
there are only 4 mobo's that can sli for an amd platform and the one i recommended for u is hihgquality and a great ocer

also the antec sonata is designed for office and home pc's that don't game because it doesn't have great airflow and anly 1 low noise fan so if u put your components in it they will get hot.

bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
If I don't plan on SLI (since I plan on only using 1 GTX460) would that open up a few more MB's? Also Do you need to use a cooler as well, or is the stock one ok? If I can't use the Sonata(which I like because its quiet) would the Antec 300 fill the bill instead? the reason I like the Sonata is its quiet and theres no upper fan, which just happens to be where I have my router.
The MSI MB looks good, I just like to have a few more options. I also like great sound which is why I am running an X-Fi sound card. Is the onboard sound just as good as the X-Fi. I heard the Realtek ALC889 audio chipset was good, but how does it compare to the X-Fi Soundcard ?