Sign in with
Your question

Pc lags ALOT - EXTREME FPS LAG

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2010 7:26:22 AM

Hey guys im having an issue with my PC. I got it in like 2004 and it has been working well until 2 years ago. My whole pc has been getting a MASSIVE fps lag and slows down at times. MSN conversations with 2 or more people will lag for a minute or 2 when the conversation gets quite long and videos will drop 2 like 1 fps. All my games are usually on low quality even tho i should be able to play on high and i get about 10 fps on all games.At times it works really well and i get about 100 fps in counterstrike source, but then after about 5-20 minutes it will drop to 10 fps and not change. I have updated every driver and all that stuff and i suspect my computer may be overheating. Ned help NAO

Specs:

My PC specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256mb

June 25, 2010 7:33:07 AM

must be heating just do some cleaning nd also blow compressed air on the heatsink to clean it...
if you still have problem make sure that thermal paste is not dried up,...
June 25, 2010 7:43:47 AM

Yeah i read that before. Is there a way 2 clean my pc with out doing all that compressed air crap? like just clean the dust and stuff off with cotton buts or something? oh and ive got about 30 gb free on my harddrive, could that be a problem?
Related resources
June 25, 2010 7:57:03 AM

if you have a vacuum cleaner at home with blower function then you can use that.... lol
but if you want the heatsink to be cleaned properly then easiest way is to blow air to it...
btw which os r u using? and is that total hdd free space or just of c drive?
June 25, 2010 8:16:25 AM

Ohk thanks. Oh and My c drive has 3gb free and my d drive has 1 gb free. they are about 150gb all 2gether
June 25, 2010 8:38:51 AM

ohh...thats bad...
u need atleast 10 gb free in c drive
June 25, 2010 8:55:05 AM

oh i meant 30c drive. my bad
June 25, 2010 9:03:24 AM

ohk....thats seems to be fyn...
try cleanin.. nd let me know the result
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2010 9:07:48 AM

Download Speed fan or real temp and GPU-Z and monitor your temps under load.

There's a good chance that if you've had this PC for 6 years and not cleaned it out yet that all the dust will be causing it to overheat.
June 25, 2010 12:03:15 PM

1GB RAM? That explains why your speed falls off a cliff after a few minutes. Windows is probably spending 90% of its time swapping data between the HD and main memory!

Also, NVIDIA 5000 series GPU's are horrific for performance.

Also, Pentium 4's don't have to power to do any gaming at this point; they're just too slow.

In short: more RAM would help delay the time until the system slows to a crawl, but the entire system is so old, I don't know if its worth the effort. I'd just junk it and get a cheap PC.
June 25, 2010 12:35:44 PM

ohh...i never knew tht while runnig msn it eats up 1 gb ram ..
well i know a 512 mb ram pc runnin nfs most wanted, wid a 1.6GHz processor... nd all.. even if you have to wait for long time to load levels...
his pc is far better than that..
and also pentium 4 3.0Ghz is the minimum req for most of the games out there....check it out....
June 25, 2010 4:43:24 PM

^^ Not just MSN, its the OS Kernal and about 40 other processes too. Never mind the Virtual Memory processing constantly flipping pages into/out of RAM as needed...

Based on his decription, this looks like a classic case of not enough RAM. I mearly pointed out the rest of the system is so old, that is probably a far more cost efficent upgrade to make a new system from scratch.
June 26, 2010 5:50:22 AM

Yeah but the thing is that at times it works perfectly, like there have been times that the whole day i had like 70-100 fps on cs:s. and like 2 years ago this NEVER happend. but now the fps just drops 2 like 10-20
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 26, 2010 6:12:02 AM

Malware and spyware are likely problems.

Have you ever done a fresh install in the past 2 years?
June 26, 2010 6:18:45 AM

yeh bout 5 or more in that time period, and i used antivirus programs and stuff liek that usually. im positive its just dust. ill clean it soon
June 27, 2010 4:05:45 AM

assyrianboi said:
yeh bout 5 or more in that time period, and i used antivirus programs and stuff liek that usually. im positive its just dust. ill clean it soon

If possible, instead of using dustoff or can air compressors, find a big air compressor that one of your friends or you may have. In my experience, they are MUCH faster and more efficient than using dustoff. I have a 250 psi air compressor in my garage that cleans out my system in about 2 minutes. With dust off, it'll take at least 10 minutes and 1-1.5 cans
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 28, 2010 12:50:35 AM

xAPOCALYPSEx said:
If possible, instead of using dustoff or can air compressors, find a big air compressor that one of your friends or you may have. In my experience, they are MUCH faster and more efficient than using dustoff. I have a 250 psi air compressor in my garage that cleans out my system in about 2 minutes. With dust off, it'll take at least 10 minutes and 1-1.5 cans

I have compressors, and I find they will shoot condensation along with the air. That might cause problems.
June 28, 2010 4:54:31 AM

bystander said:
I have compressors, and I find they will shoot condensation along with the air. That might cause problems.

First off, I've never been into a professional PC repair shop that didn't have it's own air compressor. It's pretty standard equipment for any PC enthusiest. It pays for it self after 6 months of not buying canned air. I don't know what to tell you about "condensation" lol. I've been using air compressors to clean friends PCs and my own for over 10 years without any problems.

2nd, I'd like to complement the company that made the OP's PC. 6 years old with absolutly no care, maintainance or cleaning and it's still boots. Amazing. Nvidia made a solid card there if it's been playing 3d games stuffed full of dust for 5 or 6 years lol and it didn't melt.

To the OP, I say it's time you get a new PC. Nothing extreme, but sounds like your rig is on it's last leg.

Windows 7, 7200rpm HDD, a 200, 400 series nvida card, or 5000 series ATI card, duel core CPU, and 4-6 Gb of ram and it'll probably last you another 4-5 years.

If you're not running a full HD screen, and playing games at 1280x720 resolution, you could probably get a rig for under 500 bucks you'd be really happy with for a long time, as it stands your whole PC looks like it needs an overhaul and parts in it are sure to fail in the near future.

Be happy your PC lasted you as long as it did. I tend to build a PC from scratch every year, and do minor upgrades every 6 - 8 months. I like having the latest and greatest though.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 28, 2010 5:31:09 AM

airborne11b said:
First off, I've never been into a professional PC repair shop that didn't have it's own air compressor. It's pretty standard equipment for any PC enthusiest. It pays for it self after 6 months of not buying canned air. I don't know what to tell you about "condensation" lol. I've been using air compressors to clean friends PCs and my own for over 10 years without any problems.

They likely have a condensation filter. Hopefully yours does too.

For the use I have my compressors for, they do not have condensation filters. That might make a big difference.
July 12, 2010 8:32:27 AM

Oh sorry i forgot to reply. I cleaned my pc and the fans. Tgere was a LOT of dust. But since doing so i havent had any fps problems and my pc works perfectly :D  thanks for the help people.
!