Canon A75

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 25, 2004 5:51:45 PM

My daugher got a Canon A75 for Christmas. We seem to be having a
problem taking flash pictures. When set in the auto mode indoors with
the flash turned on the pictures are way too underexposed. They
actually come out better with the flash turned off. My husband thinks
the preflash isn't working. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

More about : canon a75

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:18:48 PM

It definately has major problems. I'm waiting to hear back from Canon
tech support. When I got it a month ago, I tested it out and it worked
ok. Now today in the same lighting situations it's not working. The
camera seems to think that the flash will be firing, so it sets the
shutter speed accordingly, but then it's as if it doesn't fire, when it
takes the picture, so it comes out underexposed because the shutter
wasn't open long enough to let in enough light. The flash does go off,
but it sounds like, from reading in the manual that it's supposed to
fire twice.

P.S. I have a Nikon D70 digital SLR which I absolutely love !!!! My
husband got me a Fuji 3800 last year for Christmas, which I hated. My
daughter didn't even want it because it's so awful. I got the D70 over
the summer. I thought I did a lot of research before deciding to get
her the Canon A75. Now I'm wondering if this is another disaster like
last year.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:53:28 PM

I had already tried resetting the defaults and recharging the
batteries. Neither worked, but thanks anyway.
December 26, 2004 12:55:29 AM

<rtbond@optonline.net> wrote in message
> My daugher got a Canon A75 for Christmas. We seem to be having a
> problem taking flash pictures. When set in the auto mode indoors with
> the flash turned on the pictures are way too underexposed. They
> actually come out better with the flash turned off. My husband thinks
> the preflash isn't working. Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Thanks

I assume you are taking shots of people, who are coming out too dark, that
shouldn't be. You could go into P mode and up the exposure but you shouldn't
have to do that. Of course I assume the subject is not much more than 10
feet away. OTOH, if you are complaining about the background, that is
normal. I believe the A75 has scene modes. If it does, try the indoor
setting. Flash problems with these camera will be when shooting very close
or too far away.
Dave Cohen
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 2:06:31 AM

>I had already tried resetting the defaults and recharging the
> batteries. Neither worked, but thanks anyway.

Apply ball peen hammer, repeat as required.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 6:43:42 AM

Have you checked that it isn't in a certain mode? If not, remove the
batteries for a few minutes to reset the camera. Install some fresh
batteries and retest.
John

> It definately has major problems. I'm waiting to hear back from Canon
> tech support. When I got it a month ago, I tested it out and it worked
> ok. Now today in the same lighting situations it's not working. The
> camera seems to think that the flash will be firing, so it sets the
> shutter speed accordingly, but then it's as if it doesn't fire, when it
> takes the picture, so it comes out underexposed because the shutter
> wasn't open long enough to let in enough light. The flash does go off,
> but it sounds like, from reading in the manual that it's supposed to
> fire twice.
>
> P.S. I have a Nikon D70 digital SLR which I absolutely love !!!! My
> husband got me a Fuji 3800 last year for Christmas, which I hated. My
> daughter didn't even want it because it's so awful. I got the D70 over
> the summer. I thought I did a lot of research before deciding to get
> her the Canon A75. Now I'm wondering if this is another disaster like
> last year.

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 6:43:43 AM

There is a RESET function. It involves holding down the MENU key for a long
period of time. Its in the manual.

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
news:o rqzd.32642$uM5.24378@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Have you checked that it isn't in a certain mode? If not, remove the
> batteries for a few minutes to reset the camera. Install some fresh
> batteries and retest.
> John
>
> <rtbond@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> It definately has major problems. I'm waiting to hear back from Canon
>> tech support. When I got it a month ago, I tested it out and it worked
>> ok. Now today in the same lighting situations it's not working. The
>> camera seems to think that the flash will be firing, so it sets the
>> shutter speed accordingly, but then it's as if it doesn't fire, when it
>> takes the picture, so it comes out underexposed because the shutter
>> wasn't open long enough to let in enough light. The flash does go off,
>> but it sounds like, from reading in the manual that it's supposed to
>> fire twice.
>>
>> P.S. I have a Nikon D70 digital SLR which I absolutely love !!!! My
>> husband got me a Fuji 3800 last year for Christmas, which I hated. My
>> daughter didn't even want it because it's so awful. I got the D70 over
>> the summer. I thought I did a lot of research before deciding to get
>> her the Canon A75. Now I'm wondering if this is another disaster like
>> last year.

There is a RESET function. It involves holding down the MENU key for a long
period of time. Its in the manual.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:27:04 AM

Ronald Hands <rhands@NOSPAMmountaincable.net> writes:

> The pre-flash is so close in time to the full flash that I don't
>think it can be distinguished by the human eye. It's a matter of
>milliseconds so to our slow human reflexes it just looks like one flash
>burst. I've never been able to see the pre-flash on my A75.

The delay is on the order of 100 ms on a couple of Canon cameras I've
tried. I have used a G2, A200, A80, and S410. The delay between
preflash and main flash is long enough that I see two flashes every time
the flash is used.

Not only that, but when I'm the subject of the photo I often have my
eyes closed or partially closed. There's enough time to blink between
the two flashes.

Dave
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:27:05 AM

Dave Martindale wrote:

> The delay is on the order of 100 ms on a couple of Canon cameras I've
> tried. I have used a G2, A200, A80, and S410. The delay between
> preflash and main flash is long enough that I see two flashes every time
> the flash is used.

Your synapses are firing a lot faster than mine. Of course, I'm
probably a lot older, and I've noticed everything's slowing down. :-)
Anyway, I just tried another test shot and I still don't see the
pre-flash. However, I know that there is a pre-flash because a normal
digital slave triggers the off-camera flash in synch with the pre-flash,
not the main exposure (when the camera is in Auto or P mode) and
therefore contributes nothing to the exposure.
I also have the Wein digital hot shoe slave, which works in Auto or P
mode, but I find it easier to use the camera in manual mode (no
pre-flash) and the ordinary slave unit.

-- Ron
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:53:58 AM

"Ronald Hands" <rhands@NOSPAMmountaincable.net> wrote in message
> Dave Martindale wrote:
>

>> The delay is on the order of 100 ms on a couple of Canon cameras I've
>> tried. I have used a G2, A200, A80, and S410. The delay between
>> preflash and main flash is long enough that I see two flashes every time
>> the flash is used.
>>
> Your synapses are firing a lot faster than mine. Of course, I'm
> probably a lot older, and I've noticed everything's slowing down. :-)
> Anyway, I just tried another test shot and I still don't see the
> pre-flash. However, I know that there is a pre-flash because a normal
> digital slave triggers the off-camera flash in synch with the pre-flash,
> not the main exposure (when the camera is in Auto or P mode) and therefore
> contributes nothing to the exposure.
> I also have the Wein digital hot shoe slave, which works in Auto or P
> mode, but I find it easier to use the camera in manual mode (no pre-flash)
> and the ordinary slave unit.
>
> -- Ron
Virtually all the pictures of my wife come out with her eyes closed even
when she concientiously tries to avoid doing so and I assume this is due to
the pre-flash. Not sure why same thing doesn't happen with the grandkids.
Flash results with these little cameras isn't great but not so bad as to
avoided using when called for.
Dave Cohen
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 6:42:41 PM

"rtbond@optonline.net" <rtbond@optonline.net> writes:

> My daugher got a Canon A75 for Christmas. We seem to be having a
> problem taking flash pictures. When set in the auto mode indoors with
> the flash turned on the pictures are way too underexposed. They
> actually come out better with the flash turned off. My husband thinks
> the preflash isn't working. Has anyone else had this problem?

Make sure you're not asking too much of the onboard flash. I got an
A75 for a family member and it's been quite reliable, but that on
camera flash is not terribly powerful, and I wouldn't rely on it for
much over 10 feet in Green mode. If you're in P mode and dial up a
higher ISO, your experience may be better.

If it's not getting you what you want, it may be worth getting it
looked at or exchanging it--cus that's a mighty fine point and shoot
digicam in my experience.

And, everything looks better without flash! :-)

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/