CPU temp

Un4GivN

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Ok so I have just pieced together a new computer and during intial testing I decided I was a bit short on time for the night and I wasn't going to be able to manually overclock before end of the night. So I ran ASUS overclocking utility. Which worked actually very well... But after it was done I loaded-up a Intel Burn and speed fan to check out the results. Sitting at an idle temp of 32 degree before, I hit run and it instantly brought the temp to 80. Is a 48 degree difference normal? Also as a question to safety of the overclock that was applied. How safe is 1.35 volts? I looked up intel specs and it shows up to 1.4, but I just making sure because the last thing I want to do is fry the processor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Core I7 870
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
V-8 cooler (got it for 30 bucks new, not my first choice but it should be decent??)
Vertex 2 SSD
750 tx PSU
Also running 8 case fans on controller. With about 5 running at any given time.

nvidiafanboi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
using the asus automatic OC is bad bad decision making my friend. by the sounds of it you have jumped from stock to this oc?

voltages and changed to your bois should be done in the smallest increments possible. 0.01/0.1 at a time and test after each change. 1.35V is absolutley fine but the temps you are getting are deffinately not good. you want to keep your load temps on prime95, for example, you really want to keepp it below 70-72c.

also with all your fans and aftermarket cpu cooler you shouldnt be getting heat issues. did you apply thermal compund yourself?

to be honest the real issue here is the automatic OC.

Un4GivN

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

hmm quite interesting actually. Which parts of the OC would cause the heat troubles? I can try and edit that but I guess I wasnt aware of heat troubles from this.

I honestly have this feeling that the V8 is just absolutely not a good cooler. Not even when I got it new for 30 bucks(which is the only reason I went with it). It seems like its dissapaiting the heat horribly. Last night I reconfiged my fans and point one more toward the base and boom 9 degree drop.

Yes I did apply thermal myself, 3 seperate times... The thing is all the radiator fins themselves are not very warm. So it seems no matter how much air I put through them if they are not transferring the heat I could attach a box fan to it and its not going to cool. Any one have any ideas that wouldn't involve getting a new cooler? I will also look into the setting thing.