Sign in with
Your question

1.5k HomePC. My First Build. Lots of Questions

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2010 1:58:33 AM

Hello there everyone. My name is Jono and I'm doing my first build for my own custom desktop. I've dropped about 20 hours into trying to decide on a build for Black Friday. I, ideally, would like this to be UNDER 1.5k near that time. So, I've complied a list of my prime choices, as well as my questions. So, first the outline below

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Black Friday -> Friday, November 26, 2010 (For practicality's sake, lets say that the end of this week is when I'm buying it.)

BUDGET RANGE: 1500 USD before Rebates (Current Price)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet, movies, gaming, enjoying music, and then possibly making set lists. I'd like to try my hand a DJing eventually, but right now gaming and long term reliability is what I want.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Solely Newegg, but hell, If it saves me money, I'll take all my chances.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type: The only thing I really am decided on is AMD.

OVERCLOCKING: MAYBE

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe: /I have no idea here

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 and up.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I realize this has a LOT of budget but this is going to be my pride and joy. I want it to last, I want to be able to keep it up to snuff with very little maintenance. Here is the list of my choices. I tried providing the top three, because it really is difficult to choose. Please be very critical. I tried reading through Newegg reviews, but sometimes, they just don't cut it.

Here is one thing that I am immovable on. It must have the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (Chosen as of 8/1/10 8:12PM)

Power Supply: (I think I can save a decent amount here. ALWAYS down for suggestions)
1.) CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply (89.99)

Monitor:
1.) (Top choice for me so far)ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers (189.99)
2.) Acer P235Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor (199.99)
3.) ViewSonic Graphic Series VG2230wm Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor Height & Tilt Adjustments (199.99)

CD Drive
1.) ASUS DVD-E818A6T/BLK/B/G Black 18X SATA DVD-ROM Drive - Bulk (16.99)

Harddrive (will take more suggestions here)
1.) Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive (79.99)

RAM (Kinda waiting on the MOBO before I choose this, and this is something I can always upgrade later)
1.) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996776 (280)

NOW! For the biggest thing I am stuck on, the Mobo for my processor and the matching Graphics card for my price range.

HERE are the five that I picked out, but I would love your opinion. First of all, will these support the AMD 1090T right off the bat without a BIOS upgrade? I need it to have HDMI for my monitor.

As for Graphics cards, that's where I am completely lost. So, yeah, I fall to your suggestions. Please help me :) 

Thanks for your time. I know this is a huge post.
August 2, 2010 2:28:05 AM

One thing I'm going to say right now is that, in a couple months when you plan to buy this thing, prices will be completely different and newer and better products will probably be out. So you can keep looking and keep updating your list, until then, don't make anything here absolutely final.

Also during the sale there might be some big price drops on other items so look at those too.

Bottom Line, it's to far away to be really accurate on build advice, but still take advice and have a living and evolving computer parts list.
m
l
August 2, 2010 2:36:40 AM

tkgclimb said:
One thing I'm going to say right now is that, in a couple months when you plan to buy this thing, prices will be completely different and newer and better products will probably be out. So you can keep looking and keep updating your list, until then, don't make anything here absolutely final.

Also during the sale there might be some big price drops on other items so look at those too.

Bottom Line, it's to far away to be really accurate on build advice, but still take advice and have a living and evolving computer parts list.

Oh, I completely agree. And I plan to update this list constantly. That's been my plan from the beginning. YAY for RSS feeds from Newegg. :) 

(For practicality's sake, lets say that the end of this week is when I'm buying it.)
m
l
!