SuperJel

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
I am building a MONSTER computer that I have been saving up for quite a while. Its going to run with a
ASUS Rampage III Black Edition LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard, and a Intel® Core™ i7-990X Processor Extreme Edition
(12M Cache, 3.46 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI)
The thing is. the Motherboard can handle 48GB of DDR3 RAM with 6 RAM slots available. I also know that if I load all the RAM slots up that it will Bottleneck and slow down the Processor. So what I was thinking of doing was getting three sticks of 8GB RAM set in to run 3 channel. But WHO makes 8GB sticks of DDR3 RAM? Right now I can only find 4GB sticks. I know that 12GB will be fine... But what about down the road in a few years.

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Did you get what you were looking for? It appears that 8GB sticks are extremely expensive, but if you want to spend $1500 total for three sticks of RAM, this article points out at least one option.

8GB RAM sticks often cost more than cost more than several 4GB sticks and are almost always ECC. Being ECC isn't a problem since if it isn't supported by the rest of the system than they should work like normal modules but cost a lot more. Six 4GB sticks would give you 24GB to play with and should be enough unless you're trying some incredibly demanding.