Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good hard drive for gaming?

Last response: in Storage
October 20, 2012 10:44:46 PM

I was wondering if the Western Digital 1 TB WD Green SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive is good for gaming? It's for a medium gaming computer, nothing to extreme. If not, are there others that are as cheap as $70-90?

More about : good hard drive gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a c 154 G Storage
October 20, 2012 11:20:07 PM

The WD green is better suited for storage use.
The rpm is variable and starts up slower. Not good for an os.

Samsung spinpoint, WD Black, or even Blue would be better.

Ignore the cache size or 6gb sata as a selection metric. It will be appropriate to the drive and is a minor factor in performance.

If you can, use a ssd for the os and perhaps a few games.
You can always add a hard drive later.
A ssd will not directly help games, but everything else you do will feel so much quicker.
60gb will work for just the os.
120gb will hold the os and half a dozen games.
180-240gb and you may never need a hard drive.
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
October 20, 2012 11:35:58 PM

geofelt said:
A ssd will not directly help games, but everything else you do will feel so much quicker.

Do this. He's slightly wrong about it not helping games - what it helps is the loading time in between levels / areas. It makes them basically disappear.
Related resources
October 20, 2012 11:59:57 PM

geofelt said:
The WD green is better suited for storage use.
The rpm is variable and starts up slower. Not good for an os.

Samsung spinpoint, WD Black, or even Blue would be better.

Ignore the cache size or 6gb sata as a selection metric. It will be appropriate to the drive and is a minor factor in performance.

60gb will work for just the os.
120gb will hold the os and half a dozen games.
180-240gb and you may n.

Do you have any suggestions on an affordable 120gb ssd? And also, the SSD would make operations on the OS much faster?
a b G Storage
October 21, 2012 12:04:32 AM

120gb hard drives are slow. if you want 120gb get a ssd
October 21, 2012 12:23:51 AM

Samsung 830 or 840
Plextor M5P
OCZ Vertex 4 <-- my ssd and I love it (make sure it's updated to firmware v1.5)
Crucial m4
etc etc
any SSD will be waaaay better than HDD
October 21, 2012 12:34:34 AM

tomminater said:
Do you have any suggestions on an affordable 120gb ssd? And also, the SSD would make operations on the OS much faster?

much faster.. everything will be so snappy, an SSD would be the biggest performance upgrade you could get on a dollar/performance basis
a b 4 Gaming
a c 154 G Storage
October 21, 2012 2:36:26 AM

tomminater said:

I highly recommend a SSD for the os and more.

Forget affordability, buy based on reliability.
Today Intel and Samsung seem to be tops in that regard.
They make their own nand chips and can do a better job of validation.

Ignore synthetic benchmarks. They bear no resemblance to what an os and a desktop user does.
All modern SSD's perform nearly the same. That is FAST...

I would look at Intel 330 or Samsung830.
You might get a good deal on samsung 830 if they liquidate inventory to make room for the 840.
a b G Storage
October 21, 2012 2:41:27 AM

I would go with Samsung 830. Crucail M4s are good too although not as fast as several other SSDs. Stay away from OCZ Vertex SSDs as although they are very fast, they have had issues and the company is in big financial trouble.

Best solution

October 21, 2012 2:46:38 AM

^+1 i agree, samsung 830 are blazing, i have a 128GB just for games, (the drives name is lightning). I've been plaing League of Legends alot lately and im ALWAYS the first one to load into the game, i love it. Samsung 128GB 830's with a bracket included are 129 on newegg, and without 109.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT: I fear you may underestimate how fast SSD's are, when i said i was always first loading into LOL, its usually at 100% for me while everyone else is around 40%.
Also applications take less than a second to launch from the moment you click them <---- (you might be saying, he MUST be exagerating, i assure you, im not)
October 21, 2012 3:28:59 AM

Best answer selected by tomminater.
!