Problems: Win XP install on New Hard Drive in Old Dell Computer

jiroband

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
This is a follow-up on a previous post. I apologize if this seems long, but I feel it is important to explain what is going on with this mess.

I’m trying to refurb on old Dell Dimension 8400, purchased in 2004. I’ve switched out the old hard drive for a new Western Digital WD5000AUDX and installed Win XP. The issue that seems to be causing my problems is my desire for the new HDD to operate at full capacity, so I also installed a new Vantec UGT-ST622 SATA host card.

The first problem is that I can’t install XP when the HDD is attached to the new card since XP doesn’t have the driver. Vantec’s instructions are to copy a specific folder from their CD onto a floppy and then hit F6 during the XP install – and then scroll to file, “Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 32 bit,” within the folder. However, I can’t do this – I don’t get an option to scroll to locate a file, I just get an error message “The file txtsetup.oem could not be found.”

So the next thing I tried was to locate and copy both files (“txtsetup.oem,”and “Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 32 bit”) outside of the folder on the floppy drive, so XP install could find them right away. I did this, tried the install again, and got the following error message:

“txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.”

Frustrated, I unplugged the HDD’s SATA cable from the new SATA host card and plugged it into one of the old SATA I slots on the motherboard. I also removed the new SATA host card and unplugged my old DVD ROM drive, leaving the DVD-RW plugged in to use for the XP installation. I tried again, and successfully installed XP. I plugged the new SATA host card back in, and installed the software & drivers. (By the way, I do shut down and unplug the power before I work inside the case.) I plugged the HDD’s cable back into the new SATA card, and plugged the DVD ROM back in.

Right now, XP works, but it’s really slow considering it’s a fresh install. The boot up and shut down are extremely slow. I also noticed the system initially did not recognize either of my DVD drives. The DVD-RW was attached to an onboard SATA 1 slot, and the DVD ROM was (and still is) attached to an onboard IDE slot. I was able to get the DVD-RW to work by plugging into the new SATA card. The DVD ROM is still not working.

I apologize for not keeping track of this, but at different times, I changed AHCI settings in BIOS. I think I changed it to either “RAID Autodetect/ ATA”, or “Combination SATA/ PATA” during the Win XP install, as I had read somewhere to put it IDE legacy mode, and that specific option was not available. I changed it back to “RAID Autodetect/ AHCI” after the XP install.

Other strange things I’ve noticed about drive designations are:

1. The main drive, which is typically Drive “C”, is called Drive “F”.
2. The combo drive (floppy and smart card) is called Drive “A”, so that seems right.
3. My DVD-RW is Drive “D”, that seems okay.
4. It’s showing two removable drives, “C” and “G”, I’m not sure what those could be.

Anyway, I’m willing to start over – there’s nothing saved to that drive. Should I remove the new SATA III host card and just be happy with running the HDD at a slower SATA I speed?

IDE drives have a higher priority than SATA drives so are assigned a drive letter before any SATA drive. Apart from not having the IDE drives connected when installing Windows I don't know of any other fix for this. Also make sure that you have removed any memory card readers USB storage when installing Windows.

So the next thing I tried was to locate and copy both files (“txtsetup.oem,”and “Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 32 bit”) outside of the folder on the floppy drive, so XP install could find them right away. I did this, tried the install again, and got the following error message:

“txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.”

This error is because you have not copied the required files to the floppy, you should copy the entire folder including the bit where oemdisk.c and txtsetup.oem is.

jiroband

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I did copy the entire folder onto the floppy -- I also copied the 2 other files to the outside of the folder (on the floppy) in addition.