Motherboard fitting

cynda26

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hey,

I recently got a Asus Sabertooth P67. and I'm putting it in, and there is a back plate cover with all the info of the ports. I put it in before without the plate and the mobo fit. But now, with the back plate in the mobo wont allign with the standoffs. there is a weird silver cushion that is glued to the back of the plate and I think that is causing it to not allign. should I rip off the silver stuff or should I just go without it?

Thanks

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
DO NOT rip the silver cushion off, thats to stop any static. Try pushing the motherboard tray from the back up and alligning the motherboard ports. Thats what I had to do as sometimes the motherboards dont align perfectly within the rollers/sliders. Hope that made sense lol

The cushion on Asus boards is really a nice way to do things. Most have tiny spring like tangs to do the job. Do not remove it.

1) Make certain that the backplate is properly inserted into the case opening. It is a press fitting, and all 4 edges must be securely pushed in.

2) Securing the motherboard is a task that is best done with four hands. One to hold the case firm, one to hold the motherboard in place, pushing it into the backplate. one to hole a standoff screw, and one to screw it in. Since most of us are short one or two hands, here is what I do.
I put the case on a table, where my chest can hold it as I push the motherboard into the backplate springs.
I use a #2 phillips screwdriver with a magnetic tip to hold the screw. One hand pushes the motherboard securely into the backplate, and the other starts a screw. The first screw goes into the standoff near the backplate. Do not tighten at first.
The next one goes at the other end of the motherboard. This lets you leverage the motherboard into the backplate.
Put in all screws loosely at first, and make them snug, but not tight. If you tighten too much, you will have a problem loosening the standoffs when you want to remove the motherboard later.