Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard for Core i5 2500k

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2011 9:16:40 AM

Over the past couple of days I have read so many reviews for motherboards and looked at so many my brain is really starting to ache now :sleep: 

I have narrowed my search down to these three boards:

BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67

I am looking to overclock, but not right away. At this moment in time I am not interested in sli/crossfire, I will be using a single GTX 460 most likely.

CPU: Core i5 2500k
RAM: 8GB G.Skill

What motherboard would you recommend and why?

More about : motherboard core 2500k

May 29, 2011 5:43:48 PM

I have the ASRock P67 extreme 4 and I LOVE it. Best mobo I have ever had. Also all the reviews say that it is an amazing board.

+1 for ASRock P67 extreme 4
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2011 11:16:22 PM

The Extreme4 and the P8P67 Pro are pretty equally priced -- considering that P8P67 Pro has free shipping, so that's not really a factor.

This is a really tough call to make. On one hand Asus has an excellent relationship and has been a player longer than ASrock has.

On the other hand, Asus owns ASrock and ASrock also has an excellent reputation, particularly as it relates to their P67 offerings. Also, a lot of folks have come forward frustrated with sleep/resume and double-posting issues with the P8P67 series. There haven't been as many complaints with ASrock's boards so far this cycle.

On the other hand -- is that three hands now??? -- I personally own a plain-vanilla P8P67 and have found it to work like a dream. One differentiator between the boards -- and there are few -- is that Asus is offering a 3 year warranty on the P8P67 series; ASrock is only offering 2 years.

One more note on this:

Quote:
At this moment in time I am not interested in sli/crossfire, I will be using a single GTX 460 most likely.

Why is it that you're deciding between the P8P67 Pro and the Extreme 4? If you don't want to sli/crossfire, why not consider the ASRock Pro3 or the plain-vanilla P8P67?

If you're not running insane resolutions or gaming with multiple monitors simultaneously, you're not going to get much out of SLI/Crossfire...
Related resources
May 30, 2011 8:25:00 AM

Maybe there is also some other card that can use more then one PCI-e lane, like raid card, audio/video processing boards, different type of controllers etc.
So it can be good to have 2-3 PCI-e x16 even if you dont plan use triple CF/SLI, even if its for just being future proof.
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2011 1:07:30 PM

fullofzen said:
The Extreme4 and the P8P67 Pro are pretty equally priced -- considering that P8P67 Pro has free shipping, so that's not really a factor.

This is a really tough call to make. On one hand Asus has an excellent relationship and has been a player longer than ASrock has.

On the other hand, Asus owns ASrock and ASrock also has an excellent reputation, particularly as it relates to their P67 offerings. Also, a lot of folks have come forward frustrated with sleep/resume and double-posting issues with the P8P67 series. There haven't been as many complaints with ASrock's boards so far this cycle.

On the other hand -- is that three hands now??? -- I personally own a plain-vanilla P8P67 and have found it to work like a dream. One differentiator between the boards -- and there are few -- is that Asus is offering a 3 year warranty on the P8P67 series; ASrock is only offering 2 years.

One more note on this:

Quote:
At this moment in time I am not interested in sli/crossfire, I will be using a single GTX 460 most likely.

Why is it that you're deciding between the P8P67 Pro and the Extreme 4? If you don't want to sli/crossfire, why not consider the ASRock Pro3 or the plain-vanilla P8P67?

If you're not running insane resolutions or gaming with multiple monitors simultaneously, you're not going to get much out of SLI/Crossfire...

Just wanted to let you know that ASRock has been an independent company for over 2 years now.
!