Which Motherboard for me?

tamos

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hey all,
I was wondering what mobo to get. I got an i7 2600k and WILL be overclocking. I have a zalman 9900 CPU cooler and 8gb 1600 Vengeance RAM. On all of the Asus and other brand's boards I get mixed reviews. I also noticed that many of the Asus's z68 boards have a problem when waking up from sleep. The Asus z68 deluxe should be coming out shortly but I read on the forums that it is not worth it and go with the PRO-V instead. I guess I'm just trying to get some opinions :) .I'm also hesitant to go with ASRock because many people have told me they are cheaply made. I don't want to spend over 225 on a motherboard so I'm wondering what to do. Any recommendations help. You guys probably know more than I do. Thanks guys!

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I'm personally a fan of MSI products - never had a single one fail on me so far.

Yes, ASRock boards are made a little more cheaply than the better manufacturers like Asus and MSI. Not much though, and they have some really amazing boards in their lineup - it shouldnt be enough of a difference to really discourage you from going with them.

Do you plan on SLI'ing or Crossfiring video cards in the future?

tamos

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
As of right now, no. But possibly in the future when i get more money. I have an XFX 5850 at the moment so that should be enough for me to game. I was looking on newegg and say an ASRock fatal1ty board and it looks like it got nothing but good reviews. Any thoughts on that one and do you know if it has the same problem the other 1155 socket boards have? If so, what one do you suggest

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... I went on vacation for a while and didn't have any internet. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574&cm_re=p67-_-13-130-574-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131704&cm_re=p67-_-13-131-704-_-Product

I'd probably recommend either one of those two boards right now. Both boards are placed directly under either manufacturers' $220 flagship model, and offer nearly the same features. I wouldn't let rumors about Asus discourage you - their LGA 1155 boards are exceptional and I'd recommend them any day. They would certainly be more reliable than Asrock.
I'd say your best bet would be to pick up one of those two, if you haven't already got something.
If you absolutely want the best overclocking potential you can get, then I guess you'll have to step up to either the Asus DELUXE model, or the MSI P67-GD80, both top of the line boards for around the very upper limit of your budget range.