Solved

HDDErase broke my computer..

Okay so i can HDDEraser from here http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

I burned the .iso to a dvd-r and ran it on boot. I followed the steps, well i remember the steps saying this ""!! ATA Security feature set is prohibited by the system BIOS chip!!"

But i continued with it anyway, and now my computer cant start up. It didnt whipe my harddrive like i wanted to. When i start up my PC it cant boot up windows, and it cant repair it, cant do a system image, cant go back to an earlier state. I even tried putting my Windows 7 disk in and reinstalling windows 7 and formatting the drive, but it cant find any drive. Cant find my C drive or nothing?

How do i fix this? I cant turn on my PC to use it or nothing. I just wanted to fully sanitize or whipe out my hard drive with HDDerase, but something f'd it up.

Thanks for the help.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdderase broke computer
  1. Best answer
    HDDerase uses the ATA Security Erase Unit command. This requires that a password is first set. If the BIOS has issued an ATA Security Freeze Lock command, then this prevents any application, including HDDerase, from setting a password. That appears to be what the warning message is saying.

Security Freeze Lock is an anti-malware measure that is used by many laptop BIOSes.

Does your PC's BIOS still report the drive's model number and correct capacity?
  2. HDDerase uses the ATA Security Erase Unit command. This requires that a password is first set. If the BIOS has issued an ATA Security Freeze Lock command, then this prevents any application, including HDDerase, from setting a password. That appears to be what the warning message is saying.

Security Freeze Lock is an anti-malware measure that is used by many laptop BIOSes.

Does your PC's BIOS still report the drive's model number and correct capacity?
  3. Got it fixed myself. Thanks though! i just hooked up my HDD to another PC with different MOBO and re-ran the HDDErase and cleaned it all out and then the drive showed up once complete, and i reinstalled windows 7 as planned.
  4. Best answer selected by ren3gade.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Storage