Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDDErase broke my computer..

Last response: in Storage
October 21, 2012 12:25:42 AM

Okay so i can HDDEraser from here http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

I burned the .iso to a dvd-r and ran it on boot. I followed the steps, well i remember the steps saying this ""!! ATA Security feature set is prohibited by the system BIOS chip!!"

But i continued with it anyway, and now my computer cant start up. It didnt whipe my harddrive like i wanted to. When i start up my PC it cant boot up windows, and it cant repair it, cant do a system image, cant go back to an earlier state. I even tried putting my Windows 7 disk in and reinstalling windows 7 and formatting the drive, but it cant find any drive. Cant find my C drive or nothing?

How do i fix this? I cant turn on my PC to use it or nothing. I just wanted to fully sanitize or whipe out my hard drive with HDDerase, but something f'd it up.

Thanks for the help.

Best solution

a c 288 G Storage
October 21, 2012 4:52:39 AM

HDDerase uses the ATA Security Erase Unit command. This requires that a password is first set. If the BIOS has issued an ATA Security Freeze Lock command, then this prevents any application, including HDDerase, from setting a password. That appears to be what the warning message is saying.

Security Freeze Lock is an anti-malware measure that is used by many laptop BIOSes.

Does your PC's BIOS still report the drive's model number and correct capacity?
a c 288 G Storage
October 21, 2012 4:52:51 AM

HDDerase uses the ATA Security Erase Unit command. This requires that a password is first set. If the BIOS has issued an ATA Security Freeze Lock command, then this prevents any application, including HDDerase, from setting a password. That appears to be what the warning message is saying.

Security Freeze Lock is an anti-malware measure that is used by many laptop BIOSes.

Does your PC's BIOS still report the drive's model number and correct capacity?
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 6:16:12 AM

Got it fixed myself. Thanks though! i just hooked up my HDD to another PC with different MOBO and re-ran the HDDErase and cleaned it all out and then the drive showed up once complete, and i reinstalled windows 7 as planned.
m
l
October 21, 2012 6:16:30 AM

Best answer selected by ren3gade.
m
l
!