Sign in with
Your question

Which GPU is Better? (NVIDIA vs ATI)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2010 12:41:20 PM

Which GPU (graphics card) is better? Nvidia Geforce 330M (1g VRAM) OR 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650?
The Nvidia is from Sony VAIO F series and ATI is in a Dell Studio 17. I am comparing the two and they are very similar so it's hard to choose between them! I was curious which one had a better GPU and by how much?

More about : gpu nvidia ati

a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 25, 2010 12:53:18 PM

Well, it depends on the rest of components and what would you do with that laptop...
Show us the links for both of laptops... :) 
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2010 2:25:24 AM

Sony VAIO F series (custom config)
# Large capacity battery
# Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor (1.73GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
# 16.4" VAIO Full HD Premium Display (1920x1080) (Reg. price $100.00)
# NVIDIA® GeForce® 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)
# LED Backlit Keyboard
# 6GB (4GBx1 + 2GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
# Blu-ray Disc player
# No Engraving
# Adobe Creative Bundle
# Backstage™ VIP Protection™ Suite (Recommended)
# Black
# Microsoft® Office 2010 Home & Student
# Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
# 500GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)

AND Dell Studio 1749 (custom config)
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
640GB (2 x 320GB) Dual SATA Hard Drive (7200rpm)
6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
17.3” Full HD (1080p) B+RG LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 26, 2010 4:35:36 AM

What apps are you planning on running with it?

Graphics are better on the Dell CPU better on the Sony, and both ar only slightly better in both respects.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:48:05 AM

By raw numbers the 4650 is slightly more powerful but only slightly.

I would definitely go for the sony. Mainly because it is 16.4" and the 330M has optimus. 17.3" is too big to be called portable. Also the 330M can be switched off and intergrated graphics can be used, which will save battery life. Without it you would probably have 3 hours of juice for web browsing and only 1 hour of real gaming.

Then again are you sure you want a gaming laptop? Gaming on the go in really no fun. Small screen, bad periperals, lame internet connection, and poor ergonomics, might as well get a desktop and then some cheap laptop or netbook or web browsing. I bought a gaming laptop several months ago and I have yet to game on it that much since the desktop is serveral times the experience not to mention when im on the go, i have things to do, people to meet. I didn't think it through when I bought my gaming laptop :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 26, 2010 6:00:29 AM

rofl_my_waffle said:
Mainly because it is 16.4" and.. 17.3" is too big to be called portable.

Rofl, you actually think 17.3" is in any way appreciably bigger than 16.4" ? :sarcastic: 

Quote:
..and the 330M has optimus.. ..the 330M can be switched off and intergrated graphics can be used, which will save battery life. Without it you would probably have 3 hours of juice for web browsing and only 1 hour of real gaming.

Where did you get that about the Vaio F being an Optimus configured laptop? :heink: 

Not yet it isn't (check their current model online at sony's site).
The model to date have been below category in battery performance;
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/sony-vaio-f-ser...
Sony's own site says Max battery Life 3hrs / 1hr DVD, if that's Optimus, I don't know what all the fuss is about. :lol: 

The Dell better than average;
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-studio-17-...

So where did you get that other stuff or does nV just equal Optimus and then you assign the other features? You do know that ATi has had power saving mobile solutions for longer, including turning off PCIe lanes to conserve power when low activity, so it's not like they have nothing.

Also, look harder at the screens and see which one might be the actual better screen, hmmm....

Maybe that review has an idea when they compared the Sony HD to the Dell base (non-RGB): "On the other hand, the display didn’t look as bright as others we’ve tested recently, such as the Acer Aspire 8940G or Dell Studio 17."

The RGB-LED screen on the DELL's are actually quite nice, better than most desktop LCDs which have nowhere near the colour-richness. It can easily be beaten by a reasonably good quality desktop monitor, but not your average BestBuy model.

It still depends on what you're doing with them, but I wouldn't dismiss laptops the way you seem to as if the only thing people do is game with large laptops. :pfff: 
m
l
June 26, 2010 12:50:31 PM

I think i will probably end up with a studio 1749. It has better sound, and there were lots of complaints about the VAIO's glare/reflection and poor screen quality. I'll probably be running CAD programs etc. as well as gaming this fall when I head off to school. Overall, The Studio 1749 just seems like a better machine, and all the reviews i've read, and customer reviews all seem to go in the favor of the dell. Every laptop will have something someone doesn't like.

Thank you all for your help!
m
l
!