seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I just bought an Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 sound card.The power is on but it is not working or recognized by my motherboard.I dont know what else to do except re-seat it but I did that already.Its not broke.Usually when I install a new device,a found new hardware wizard appears,but nothing.I hooked it up in my other build and it is ok.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What motherboard are you using, what other equipment is in your computer? Have you tried inserting it into a different PCIe slot (I assume its PCIe and not PCI).

I have a theory the PCIe slot might be deactivated because of a card in another PCIe slot, but that's a random guess. I couldn't tell you without your system configuration information.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

check out my public profile Gigabyte X58A UD9

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Whats the card config, are the 480's in the 1, 3, and 5 slots, or the 1, 3, and 7 slots? I.e. is the Xonar in 7, or one of 5 or 6?

You can try moving the third 480 into a different slot (i.e. if its in 5, move it to 7), but I don't know what that would accomplish.

Have you tried putting any other PCIe cards in the slot you're putting the Xonar in (like a raid card or network card or something)? Maybe the slot is bad?

My only other guess is that because the board uses 2xNF200 chips to split 32 lanes into 64, the Xonar might be conflicting with something there. I'm just guessing here, but maybe the fact that the Xonar is "sharing" 16 lanes with one of the graphics cards might be confusing things, especially if the Xonar is running PCIe 1.1 signaling and not 2.0 like the 480.

Don't know, I was hoping you were running a 740G or something with limited lanes.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Should I have disabled on board sound in the BIOS?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

D'oh (at myself). I'm guessing that Windows is still set to use your onboard audio as the default output device. You can try changing that in the control panel or just disable the onboard audio.

Sorry, that should have been my first question, man did I get sidetracked on those stupid PCIe slots.

Hopefully its as simple as that.