I'm so confused. help please!

So i bought all my parts built the computer but was wondering how to use an SSD and a HDD at the same time. So i put the OS on the SSD but i dont understand how i am supposed to get anything onto my HDD. Because the SSD is the C drive or primary partition everything i download gos to it. What am i supposed to put on the HDD and how am i supposed to make it download there as opposed to the SSD?

SSD: 120 gb OCZ agility 3

HDD: Seagate 1 TB 64mb cache 6gb SATA

Lordy me...

Assume you have Win 7? (that kind of info helps a lot!!!)

Press Start ---> Your account name (i.e. open all your personal folder) -> right click on "downloads" folder ---> Properties --> Location tab...

If you cant work it out from there....there is no hope.

HTH... Cheers

Okay so i only have 64.7 gb left on the ssd after drivers and windows updates with 2 games (league of legends, and World of tanks). So say i download a movie to my computer it will now download it to the D:\ drive and i will be able to run it even though its not on the C:\ drive?

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
How do you think applications and files are stored on other drives other than the boot drive? Of course you can. If it wasn't possible, no one would do it, right? The fact that amazon.com has whole data centers with hundreds of servers with thousands upon thousands of drives all storing and retrieving data shows you it's possible

OK - you asked...
What I mean/should have said....

"Unless they bring out a 'dummies guide for REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY Basic computer use'... you are stuffed"

Was that clear enough?
Cheers

Sorry i just was unsure of how everything worked. This was my first build and it went flawlessly except the fact that i couldn't figure the hard drive stuff...

Lol i am not an idiot just was confused as to how the whole system worked as it was my first time ever configuring everything.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
primary boot drive is formatted by the OS during install and any additional drives that aren't boot drives will need to be formatted before use. When installing the SSD make sure bios is set to AHCI. Install the OS and then add additional drives and format as necessary. They will show up under My Computer as additional drive letters. When installing programs, you can change the drive letter to whatever drive you want since almost all installation setups default to drive C:

Azteck

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hey helper do have steam on your PC. If so I can walk you through it by talking to you on the mic.

If not then do a step by step. First off you have to format second drive. The way you do that is go to start, click on computer and right click on second drive and click format. you can do the quick format since it is a new drive. You can also rename the drive so you dont get confused. Name it like STORAGE.

TRENDING THREADS