Insufficient PSU?

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I bought new PC and its PSU looks very insufficient but due to my lack of knowledge I have to ask you.

PC config:
PSU: OCz ModXStream Pro 500W
CPU: Intel Xenon X3440
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 480 1536MB
FAN: Fander 120mm Roxo Ultra Silent
HDD: Samsung 500GB 16MB cache SATA II F3 (7200 rpm)
RAM: A-Data DDRIII 2x2GB 2000MHz CL9 Gaming
MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E
CASE: AeroCool VX-R (120 fan)
OTHER: Zalman CNPS10X Flex, Asus Wi-Fi

According to TH's (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585-15.html) review I need 450 Watts for GPU alone. Intel claims that x3440's power usage is 95Watt. So ~550Watt and ~50Watt for the rest. I will have to buy something with 600 Watts of real power. I wanted to overclock the CPU so maybe a more?

I don't have much money but I heard that PSU are extremely important and using the cheapest ones can be dangerous for my PC.

Will Corsair 750HXEU (http://www.corsair.com/products/hx750/default.aspx) be enough? 750 * 0.85 = 637.5 so it looks just all right.

Thank you in advance and I am sorry for my English. I tried my best and hope you will understand this message.

The PSU will be more then enough, and form what I understand you are a little confused about the efficency ratings on PSU, a 750 Watt PSU will put out 750 watts into the computer. the efficency is measured from the wall. meaning that if it has 85% efficency the PSU will have to draw 15% more power from the wall socket. So it would be 750 + (750*.15) = 862.5 Watts from the wall to deliver 750 watts into the computer.

I hope I explained this clearly. But yes that PSU will be enough

Considering every component on its stock settings, a 500W PSU will just about be ok for a rig comprising of a GTX 480.. Am not sure on the overclocking potential of a Xeon CPU but surely i wont recommend taking chances with a bare minimum PSU.. As hellstorm has suggested, getting a good 650W PSU will bring down the guess work.. Depending on your budget, you can go for a Corsair TX 650/Antec EA-650 to a Seasonic X-650/Antec Signature 650..

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you for clarification. It was very helpful.

I will probably go for 750HXEU. OCz ModXStream Pro 700W looks good too but it is much cheaper (~120USD to ~197USD) and it worries me a little.

Edit:
Am not sure on the overclocking potential of a Xeon CPU
Sounds bad. I have no idea about hardware but I heard that it's typical choice here. I hope I will be able to make it use my RAM more efficiently and rise the CPU freq to 3+GHz (from 2.53). Nothing hardcore.
Considering every component on its stock settings, a 500W PSU will just about be ok for a rig comprising of a GTX 480
Just checked. OCz ModXStream Pro 500W is 36A (2x 12V/18A, sorry don't know what I am talking about) PSU and the NV GTX 480 needs 42A, so it could be dangerous.

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I would have to pay 220USD for Seasonic X 750W. It's definitely too much but I will try to remember about Seasonic and Antec next time. Thanks.

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
@hell_storm2004: Stuff is more expensive here (Newegg doesn't offer international shipping) and the matter is quite urgent. Plus I don't know how to connect PSU (don't want to kill the PC) so I will have to stay with my current dealer (they will exchange and connect it for free).

TBO I wouldn't even boot my pc with that power supply in ...
I did for a sec. But the OS wasn't even installed then so the load was very low. I hope nothing bad happened.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Tell your current dealer that he is a retarded bastard.
500 watts is for comon pc's ...
Yours is not a comon pc ...

Once you get your power supply, grab occt and test gpu+cpu at the same time to check if it is stable ...

And I build pc to resell them after and I install windows for free ...
Your dealer is a real dealer ...

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
@abswindows7:
Tell your current dealer that he is a retarded bastard.
Looks like I just got bad luck. It's big store and when I talked with someone at the store today he couldn't believe it was assembled there.

Windows installation is no big deal because I would reinstall it anyway. And considering the PSU problem I am happy they didn't do it.

Once you get your power supply, grab occt and test gpu+cpu at the same time to check if it is stable ...
I will play with it. Thank you. Is there any real danger?

@hell_storm2004:
Where are you from?

Poland. It's somewhere in the Europe.

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

With time (and extra money) I could get everything but being limited to one store and ~190 USD I have to consider (~750Watt only):

Antec EarthWatts 750W
Antec TruePower New 750W
bequiet! StraightPower E7 700W
Chieftec 750W [APS-750C]
Chieftec BPS-750S 750W Nitro Series Modular, 850W is cheap too
Corsair 750W HXEU
OCZ StealthXStream 700W
OCZ StealthXStream2 700W
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Tacens VALEO III 700W
Tagan 780W U33II Super Rock Series

Wait just a minute... I checked all the P7P55D boards and none of the boards mention of supporting the Xeon's. Is it really supported? That you find out mate.
*hope* It booted *hope*. I am pretty sure it does but I will check.

Edit:
Just remembered that the combination (Asus P7P55D-E + Intel Xeon X3440) was recommended by quite reliable local site. It's good.

@down:
You could fry your motherboard or the card itself if the psu decides to give away too much juice ...
They will notice something like that while exchanging PSU... I quess.

let

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I will probably stick with this configuration (without any changes) for like ~5 years and then change the whole thing so maybe choosing 650 is really better. The only thing I will add for sure in near future is some Blue-Ray drive. Will it need much power?

Antec TruePower New 750W is actually a little cheaper than Corsair HXEU 750W.
Antec has 4 12V rails so just to be safe I still consider Corsair HXEU 750W with one rail and 62A. I read that's important for Nv GTX 480 but don't know where.

Corsair have better efficiency too (80plus bronze vs 80plus silver):

http://80plus.com/manu/psu/psu_reports/CORSAIR_CMPSU-750HX_ECOS%201463_750W_Report.pdf
http://80plus.com/manu/psu/psu_reports/SP697_ANTEC_TP-750_ATX12V_750W_Report.pdf

And call me a freak but i like louder PCs. The sound of fans is very relaxing and Corsair's 140mm looks better compared to Antec's 120mm. (Just in case: I am half joking, it's not that important).

I don't know what to do about motherboard x CPU gig. I will try to ask about it at the store.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Your videocard will blow that PSU right out of your case. (Exaggerating and joking.)
A 500watt PSU with that PC???!!!! I wouldn't even think about it. Not only are you almost going over its limit, but your PSU isn't exactly top end either so if it blows, it will/might take your computer down with it. I'd recommend a 600Watt Minimum for that and a good quality brand to. I always recommend having a good overhead. Your PC's life lies in the hands of the PSU so invest good money into it. Its like insurance, you might not always need it, but if you do and don't have it, it sucks.

And call me a freak but i like louder PCs. The sound of fans is very relaxing and Corsair's 140mm looks better compared to Antec's 120mm. (Just in case: I am half joking, it's not that important).

Its okay, but doesn't that constant humming noise get annoying ever? And it isn't always about how loud the fan is, its the frequency, if you have a small fan spinning at really fast rpm, it will make a high pitched hum, and trust me, if your ears are working properly, you'll go insane, i don't think its good for you either.

Zenthar

Distinguished
For the Xeon support, some entry-level Xeons are actually just rebranded customer-grade CPUs. I'm currently running a Xeon X3110 which is in fact just an E8400, when I first booted my PC, before I flashed to the latest BIOS, it was even detected as an E8400. My guess is the same would probably happen with his X3440.

For the PSU a good decent 650W like the Seasonic, Corsair would hold on to it for 3-4 years easy. Well a lot of it luck as well. If you end up with a bad batch then it may break down earlier, but with Corsair and other reputed brand its more less likely to happen. So choose any of the three mentioned above and be safe.
And if you still want a 750W unit i would say the TruePower is the best one and fits your budget. The Corsair HX750W is a modular one so would definitely be expensive.

For the CPU support its best to contact Asus for it. Talk to them and mail them and see what they say.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/748/pg6/antec-truepower-750w-psu-conclusion.html

I have given all i know... now its your choice! :)

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You list the Corsair HX750 in your list of PSUs you can afford - go with that one.

And I'm little worried at the comments saying turning on the computer with that 500W PSU in it will somehow explode everything. OCZ aren't the best PSUs granted but they do have reliable overload protection, besides running a GTX 480 on a 500W PSU is near the limit, not over the limit.

I too agree that the explosion part is a bit exaggerated! That why i said a good 650W would do it. Especially if no SLI is involved.