Just found out RAM was meant for i7 after getting it for my i5

smefbob

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hi there, so I had ram shipped with a processor the processor being an i5-760 and the RAM saying "for i7s" on the front of it, it wasn't listed in the newegg ad people just had i7s in their builds in the feedback (easy for someone with little computer experience like me to screw up).

My main question is WILL this still work with my RAM despite it saying that it's meant for i7, will my computer explode or run defectively.

Said RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-247&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=7#scrollFullInfo

WHAT A SHAME if my whole build has to wait for me to RMA to refund and get another APPROPRIATE (extremely hard to find) RAM.

I repeat it was NOT clearly labeled in the picture or mentioned at all in the ad.

smefbob

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I'd like a speedy response so I know what I need to do and if I do need to RMA I can do so quickly.
and if I do need to RMA I'd like some RAM suggestions from the 6GB or other categories.

Don't bother, it will work.. You are actually pointing out on platform difference.. Triple channel kits are sold for (though not exclusively) LGA 1366 whereas LGA 1156 platform uses dual channel kits.. Both platforms have i7 CPU's..

smefbob

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hm just made me come to the realization that my motherboard wouldn't work well or not at all with it, it will be a 1156. I'll just be RMAing the RAM.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3067296&SID=

Now do you have any suggestions for compatible RAM, I really wouldn't feel comfortable with 4GB.

Hm just made me come to the realization that my motherboard wouldn't work well or not at all with it, it will be a 1156. I'll just be RMAing the RAM.
WHY would that motherboard not work? Explain.

As far as the 3*2GB RAM kit goes, yes, 2 of the DIMMs will work in Dual Channel as long as you match the correct sockets and one of them will work in Single Channel.

smefbob

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I never said they wouldn't work, it was an I'm not sure, it isn't designed for it based off what people have said and neither is it "designed" for the processor. I'd rather get one that won't have any issues however minor they may be.