Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Writing to/Deleting from SSD bad for the drive?

Last response: in Storage
October 21, 2012 9:23:17 AM

So after installing Windows and a couple games on my ssd, i'm out of space. I use steam and I've heard of programs that make it easy to manage your folder from SSD to hard drive and vice versa. Then in this thread ----> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=... someone says that constantly writing to and deleting from the SSD will wear it down. Is this an accurate statement?

Best solution

a c 318 G Storage
October 21, 2012 4:34:26 PM

Theoretically yes, but that is exactly why you bought it -- to use it. If you buy a nice car and just keep it in the garage and maintain it but never drive anywhere it would last a very long time too, but again that would be silly since you bought it to use it.

Anand did some wear studies on some SSDs a while back and based on that information it is highly unlikely that you can do enough writes to wear your SSD enough to make it inoperable for a long long time, by which you will have relegated it to the old useless stuff pile anyway. His results also showed, at least for the specific model tested, that after a huge number of full drive writes it actually performed slightly better, although probably not noticeable other than using a benchmark program.
October 21, 2012 5:49:23 PM

Best answer selected by gravytrain.
m
l
!