Solved

Need to know if my old laptop can support SSDs

My dad has an old HP Pavilion DV2000 and was planning to buy an SSD for him for christmas. Anybody know if the old laptop can support SSDs before I put down the money? Thanks!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need laptop support ssds
  1. If it supports 2.5" hard drives than it should in theory, support an SSD.
  2. Add to that that HDD support includes "SATA" HDD as it is very hard to find a PATA (IDE the OLD wide data connection) SSD.
    Depending on age it could use a IDE HDD and a IDE DVD drive. Laptops first migrated to SATA HDD and Pata DVD drives -> both being SATA.
  3. RetiredChief said:
    Add to that that HDD support includes "SATA" HDD as it is very hard to find a PATA (IDE the OLD wide data connection) SSD.
    Depending on age it could use a IDE HDD and a IDE DVD drive. Laptops first migrated to SATA HDD and Pata DVD drives -> both being SATA.

I guEss im just worried about a new ssd not working despite the laptop using 2.5" and sata connections but the motherboard itself doesnt recognize ssds. For example if i needed to update motherboard drivers just for it to recognize the latest ssds.
  4. Best answer
    Nomally for recognizing an SSD, if it recognizes a HDD it will also recognize an SSD.
    There are no "drivers" other than what are required for a HDD as far as OS is concerned.
    IE I bought a PATA SSD (8 gig replaCED A 2 gIG scsi hdd - LOLs) and installed it in an really old pentium 133 windows 3.11 systyem.
    Had No problems installing a SSD in an older laptop that used a sata HDD and a PATA DVD drive.

What operating system. If vista or Windows 7 the Default driver msahci is fine. Difference here is vista does no0t support trim, windows 7 does. Not a reall biggy, just that the internal Garbage collector on SSDs works better with trim.

For Windows XP you may need to download a "F6" driver. If intel based Chip[set can get from either intel, or Laptop Manuf support website (intel site probably a better bet. Check what HD chipset the MB uses.
  5. Best answer selected by xcel_jkl.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Laptops Support Storage