1155 ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION vs 1366 Rampage 3 BE

gr3b3n

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hi
Would like to know your opinions
Which one shall I choose for my gaming build?
Pros-cons of both solutions?

+I'm curious doesn't that Thundarbolt card (comes with R3BE) actually hinders sli\cfx bridge when cards are installed in 1st and 3rd slots which are 16x? I probably wouldn't use it anyway, but still...

Thanks for any answers

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Every month, Toms puts together a list of the best and most cost effective gaming CPUs available. Here's a link to the May version's discussion on Sandy Bridge.

You'll note that the top-end i5, the $225 i5 2500k gets the most favorable reviews of any of the CPUs considered, including those for X58 LGA1366 boards. The bottom line is that Sandy Bridge beats the stuffing out of the old 1366 chips. In the "Past the Point of Reason" section of the above-noted article, Tom's talks about the 1366 vs Sandy Bridge comparison:

Is there any reason for a gamer to go with a Core i7-900-series CPU/X58 motherboard combo, now that Sandy bridge has arrived? While the new Core i7-2000 series is faster than the Core i7-900-series from a processing standpoint, the platform can be a factor. The new LGA 1155 processors have an inherent limit of 16 PCIe lanes for graphics use (the same limit that LGA 1156 processors suffered), so if a gamer plans to use three or more graphics cards in CrossFire or SLI, we have to ask if Bloomfield/Gulftown and X58 offer the potential for more performance?

No! In theory, the current ultimate gaming platform (until Intel releases the LGA 2011 interface in the second half of this year) would be a P67 chipset paired with the NF200 bridge. Our experience with the LGA 1156 chipset paired with the NF200 bridge indicates that a P67/NF200 combo would allow us to use the fastest Sandy Bridge CPUs available in conjunction with three or four graphics cards without noticable graphics bandwidth trade-offs. In fact, we already have a story in the works that should prove this definitively.

Are you going to use three or more graphics cards?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I personally have no idea which motherboards have nf200, but it looks from that quoted Tom's note above that they're preparing a story with some benches right now. Given that, I would suggest that you hold off on your buy until you read the story -- I'll bet it would have some recommendations on boards.