Sign in with
Your question

Samsung SSD 830 300MB/s write - what did I do wrong?

Last response: in Storage
October 21, 2012 4:27:20 PM

Finally got round to installing my 256GB Samsung SSD 830 (Hooray!), it's working but it's performing at much slower speeds than I expected (Booo!).

Performance benchmark screenshot:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4744780/samsung-ssd-performanc...

As I understand it I was expecting write speeds closer to 500/600 MB/s. I have a SATA III capable motherboard (Asus P6X58D-E), and it's plugged into the SATA III port using a 6Gb/s cable, so I'm left wondering why I'm getting speeds typical of SATA II. Do I need two of these babies in a RAID configuration to get that kind of performance?

Did I do something wrong?
a c 317 G Storage
October 21, 2012 5:04:10 PM

Can you run AS SSD benchmarks on it for a little more information: http://www.filehippo.com/download_asssdbenchmark/

Did you do a clean Windows 7 reinstall or clone the drive? If you cloned check the partition alignment.

Seq reads should be optimally a little over 500 MB/s and writes close to 400 MB/s on a SATA III port, although you may get a bit less on a Marvell controller (it still seems it should be higher).

No, RAID is not needed for home SSD users and will not really improve apparent performance.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 21, 2012 5:37:43 PM

did you set ahci in the bios?

says pciide bad on your as ssd screenshot--cant be a good sign

got the same ssd and scoring over 800 total score on AS SSD
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
October 21, 2012 6:05:21 PM

Signum_01 said:
Thanks for your reply, it was a clean Win 7 install. I ran the AS SSD benchmark:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4744780/as-ssd-bench%20SAMSUNG...
All of your scores are well below where they should be. While I agree that you should be using AHCI sata mode, that alone should not cause this issue. AS SSD indicates no alignment issue, which I would not expect anyway with a clean install.

I would change to AHCI mode -- first change the registry key and then restart and change it in the bios before it restarts. Take a look here for making that change: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976#method1 if you look under the do it yourself it lists the key you need to change or you can use the automatic fix it tool.

Then rerun AS SSD.
m
l
October 21, 2012 6:14:10 PM

It's already running in AHCI, although I think I changed this AFTER I installed Windows (I was lead to believe that it would automatically be in AHCI but that wasn't the case).

I'll do the registry key thing and get back to you :) 
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 21, 2012 6:16:01 PM

Without setting the sata mode to AHCI, you will not get "trim" which helps speed up writes.

I would not put much import to using a synthetic benchmark to evaluate performance. In this case, the AS SSD did help by identifying the sata mode error. But, your normal desktop operations will have no resemblance to synthetic benchmarks.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
October 21, 2012 6:48:42 PM

geofelt said:
Without setting the sata mode to AHCI, you will not get "trim" which helps speed up writes.

I would not put much import to using a synthetic benchmark to evaluate performance. In this case, the AS SSD did help by identifying the sata mode error. But, your normal desktop operations will have no resemblance to synthetic benchmarks.
Totally agree that benchmarks are not indicative of real world performance, but I am surprised that all of his are significantly below my 830, M4 and Vertex 3 (all 240/256gb) benchmarks for seq and random reads and writes -- do you think that is the Marvell controller, while all my tests have been on Intel SATA III controller (either Z68 or Z77)?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 21, 2012 7:12:09 PM

Agreed on Benchmarks are NOT indicitve of real life performance, But the do show if you are close to advertized specs OR NOT inwhcih case it indicates one of three conditions:
(1) A defective Installation (Naaa)
(2) setup problem, ie incorrect driver, BUT he corrected that (pcide ->msahci)
(3) My Choice. He has a Asus P6X58D-E. The Intel sata port is SATA II, the SATA III (without looking up) is Probably the OLD stata III marvel controller. This controller does NOT perform Much, if any better, For newer sata III SSDs than the Intel SATA II port using the Latest Intel Driver (iaSTor).

An M4 or 830 (have both) should score around 750 give or take about 25 on an Intel sata III port using iaSTor driver (overall score using AS SSD). That overall score of 500 is indictive of being on a Intel sata II port or an OLD Marvel 3rd party Sata III port.

If My guess is correct then Bottom line, 500 is fine.
Myself if you are on the marvel sata III port, I'd switch to the Intel Sata II port and Use the LATEST intel driver. This may lower Sequencial performance (read) - BUT this is the Least important parameter for an OS + Program SSD SO NO BIG DEAL. The random 4 K is much more important.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:33:16 PM

Thanks for your replies. I've been doing a bit of reading up on the Marvell SATAIII ports. It seems they are the culprit in this case. So basically my SSD can't run at full speed, either way I'm sacrificing something by the looks of things... grr! I'm so disappointed!
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 21, 2012 7:37:31 PM

Signum_01 said:
Thanks for your replies. I've been doing a bit of reading up on the Marvell SATAIII ports. It seems they are the culprit in this case. So basically my SSD can't run at full speed, either way I'm sacrificing something by the looks of things... grr! I'm so disappointed!

Don't be disappointed.

The big benefit of a ssd is the random i/o response times. And that differs hardly at all among current ssd's.
We do things one at a time, the synthetic benchmarks use high(30+) queue lengths to drive the ssd's to their capacity limit.
Might be applicable to a server environment, but not to us.

Were you to use the latest and most compatible motherboard, I think you could not tell the difference.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
October 21, 2012 7:38:01 PM

Signum_01 said:
Don't be, now you've maximized your speed with that equipment and no matter what benchmarks say -- I honestly cannot tell the difference in every day use between my first Intel X25M 80gb and my newest Samsung 830 256gb. Just enjoy.
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:43:33 PM

Hah, thanks, guess I just wanted to get the most for my money - I'm sure it'll be fine, but I do use hardware intensive applications like games and Adobe Creative Suite etc so I hope it'll be up to the task.

Quick question, if I was to switch to the Intel SATA II port like RetiredChief suggested would that screw anything up or would I have to do a fresh install of everything?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 21, 2012 7:51:37 PM

Both of the above two posts are dead on.
My notice boot time is a tad longer (than if it was running full steam) but for loading programs - Never know the difference!!.
My OLD pheonix pro on sata II opens Excell and LOADs the spreadsheet in the two blinks of an eye.

Not real sure on effect for Random 4k, would need to try.
Make a backup of your SSD. Very simple. Go to Control Panel, select Back up, then on left side select create a system image. Put the image on your HDD.
It will prompt you to create a restore disk, Myself I skip and use my windows installation. To restore you just select repaire, then repare using an image. Fifteeen mins later you boot to the image created. NO re-install.

After image is created delet the Marel controller power down and move SSD to Intel port. Windows should load the msahci driver. Now go to intel and down load the latest Intel driver and install.

Just a comment, do not want to run to many Benchmarks back-to-back. The SSD needs to recover.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
October 21, 2012 7:59:16 PM

Signum_01 said:
Hah, thanks, guess I just wanted to get the most for my money - I'm sure it'll be fine, but I do use hardware intensive applications like games and Adobe Creative Suite etc so I hope it'll be up to the task.

Quick question, if I was to switch to the Intel SATA II port like RetiredChief suggested would that screw anything up or would I have to do a fresh install of everything?

No problem. You can switch your boot ports around as you wish so long as windows has installed the drivers for it.
m
l
October 21, 2012 8:03:05 PM

OK I'll give it a try sometime this week. Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.
m
l
!