Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU Choice : AMD Athlon X2 Black Edition or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+?

Last response: in CPUs
Share

Which AMD CPU should I buy

Total: 1 vote

  • AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma
  • 100 %
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane
  • 0 %
October 7, 2010 1:03:53 AM

I'm Thinking about buy a cpu for my new motherboard but I can't choose which I should buy. What do you guys think? Should I buy?

The AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

The AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : cpu choice amd athlon black edition amd athlon 5000

October 7, 2010 1:36:35 AM

The Kuma will be marginally faster. Since they are the same price, I say go for the Kuma.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 2:16:45 AM

+1 for the Athlon II. I assume by "new" board, OP's talking about the AM3 board.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 2:43:51 AM

^ PLEASE DON'T. That cooler is old, inefficient and over priced. Get a Hyper 212+.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 5:01:51 AM

Wow, for $50, you could get a much better cooler. Go with the one shadow suggested.

Or get that Xigmatech Dark Knight cooler for ~$30.

btw, what is your mobo? You might be able to get a better cpu than either of the ones you listed.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 11:07:03 AM

Neither. Both of those CPU's are out of date. What is the make and model of your motherboard?
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 11:46:20 AM

So your basically going to spend more on the cooler than you are the CPU? about $100 in total. Just get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then a $23 cooler, 212 if your willing to splurge a little or know where to buy, these if you want to stay below 100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those 2 will end up cooling better than stock, but if you just want to leave it at stock, then you just saved some money. Whats your case, and motherboard, and RAM clearance?
October 7, 2010 6:16:36 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ PLEASE DON'T. That cooler is old, inefficient and over priced. Get a Hyper 212+.

Ok ok I’ll take a look at it
Bluescreendeath said:
Wow, for $50, you could get a much better cooler. Go with the one shadow suggested.
Or get that Xigmatech Dark Knight cooler for ~$30.
I took look at the Hyper 212+ it looks really good but most people say that it’s over price too
btw, what is your mobo? You might be able to get a better cpu than either of the ones you listed.

I took look at the Hyper 212+ it looks really good but most people say that it’s over price too. And about the mobo I about I tread about which I mobo I should buy
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281177-30-motherboard...
Herr_Koos said:
Neither. Both of those CPU's are out of date. What is the make and model of your motherboard?

I forgot to say that I’m a on a budget it maybe old it’s better then nothing.
ares1214 said:
So your basically going to spend more on the cooler than you are the CPU? about $100 in total. Just get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then a $23 cooler, 212 if you’re willing to splurge a little or know where to buy, these if you want to stay below 100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those 2 will end up cooling better than stock, but if you just want to leave it at stock, then you just saved some money. Whats your case, and motherboard, and RAM clearance?

Well why don’t you look at the tread I made about which mobos I should buy:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/281177-30-motherboard...
the mobos that I want has dual channel what do you mean by RAM clearance? My PC case that I have is… well take a look at:
http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dscn0766z.jpg/
Or
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] w=0&nojs=0
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 6:20:36 PM

What are your need in this motherboard? By the look of it you need integrated?
October 7, 2010 7:49:49 PM

ares1214 said:
What are your need in this motherboard? By the look of it you need integrated?


having CrossFireX would be good also Backwards Compatibility form AM2/AM2+/AM3, the extra features are just added bonus so I pretty much don't care about what my needs are as long as the mobo is fast my happy. :D 
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 9:53:59 PM

You do not get backwards compatability, only forward, with AM2+ and AM3.

In other words the new AM3 socket boards are not backwards compatable. And can use only AM3 CPUs.

Any board that says AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 is actually an AM2+ board that can use some/all AM3 CPUs.

What kind of a budget you looking at for a board?

Do you already have RAM(memory)?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2010 11:03:23 PM

@OP: What is your full budget for the entire system?
October 7, 2010 11:57:42 PM

Raidur said:
You do not get backwards compatability, only forward, with AM2+ and AM3.

In other words the new AM3 socket boards are not backwards compatable. And can use only AM3 CPUs.

Any board that says AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 is actually an AM2+ board that can use some/all AM3 CPUs.

What kind of a budget you looking at for a board?

Do you already have RAM(memory)?

Thanks for tell me i'll remember that. $500 I already have my case.

Shadow703793 said:
@OP: What is your full budget for the entire system?

Around $500 give or take if I beg my mom to buy the parts.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 1:59:24 AM

Well... seems like you are in pretty tight a budget, so : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
Specs for that Barebones:
* AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3
* ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
* RAIDMAX Quantum Black Case
* RAIDMAX 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE
* ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler

Get that for $250 (at time of writing; it is a Shell shocker deal), replace the PSU ( I don't trust RaidMax PSUs) with something better like a Corsair, Antec, XFX,etc. Then add a 5750/5770 or GTX460 depending on budget and a Samsung F3. That should work well for under $500 with OS.
October 8, 2010 2:15:04 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Well... seems like you are in pretty tight a budget, so : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
Specs for that Barebones:
* AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3
* ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
* RAIDMAX Quantum Black Case
* RAIDMAX 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE
* ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler

Get that for $250 (at time of writing; it is a Shell shocker deal), replace the PSU ( I don't trust RaidMax PSUs) with something better like a Corsair, Antec, XFX,etc. Then add a 5750/5770 or GTX460 depending on budget and a Samsung F3. That should work well for under $500 with OS.

I already have a case ok.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 2:18:21 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Well... seems like you are in pretty tight a budget, so : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
Specs for that Barebones:
* AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3
* ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
* RAIDMAX Quantum Black Case
* RAIDMAX 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE
* ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler

Get that for $250 (at time of writing; it is a Shell shocker deal), replace the PSU ( I don't trust RaidMax PSUs) with something better like a Corsair, Antec, XFX,etc. Then add a 5750/5770 or GTX460 depending on budget and a Samsung F3. That should work well for under $500 with OS.


Maybe its just me, but i always notice the big combos are no good. Id rather get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better case, better cooler, better PSU, better motherboard, and CPU can be the same, but this is a better value. Lower price too. Better yet, i can keep it going with the heatsink, depending on what else you need.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 2:54:16 AM

^ Better PSU, not by much. The CoolerMaster 500 is not that great of a PSU (neither is the Raidmax). Yes, better case hands down.

As for motherboard, I do not buy MSI as I've had problems with them in the past, I'd take an ASUS/Gigabyte over MSI.

If OP can get the ASUS EVO and that CPU, HDD and DDR3 RAM, all is well since he has the case.

@OP: WHAT case? Can you post a pic?
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 10:23:18 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Better PSU, not by much. The CoolerMaster 500 is not that great of a PSU (neither is the Raidmax). Yes, better case hands down.

As for motherboard, I do not buy MSI as I've had problems with them in the past, I'd take an ASUS/Gigabyte over MSI.

If OP can get the ASUS EVO and that CPU, HDD and DDR3 RAM, all is well since he has the case.

@OP: WHAT case? Can you post a pic?


880G>785G, and in my experiences, MSI=Asus>Gigaybte. And yeah, cooler master doesnt exactly make the best PSU's, but id wager better than raidmax. Point is, the massive combos arent really that good.
October 8, 2010 4:28:02 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Better PSU, not by much. The CoolerMaster 500 is not that great of a PSU (neither is the Raidmax). Yes, better case hands down.

As for motherboard, I do not buy MSI as I've had problems with them in the past, I'd take an ASUS/Gigabyte over MSI.

If OP can get the ASUS EVO and that CPU, HDD and DDR3 RAM, all is well since he has the case.

@OP: WHAT case? Can you post a pic?


Here the pics:

http://img651.imageshack.us/i/dscn0767m.jpg/

as tom's hardware member damasvara quote says: "Knowledge is a sword, it depends on the wielder".
October 8, 2010 4:32:46 PM

Wisecracker said:
AsRock 870 Extreme3 / Corsair 650TX: $165 ($145 after rebate)

Athlon Propus 640 Quad / W7-64: $170


The Asus M4A785TD-V Evo is a great mobo if you can build your 'combos' around it.


The main reason why I didn't want that Mobo is because there is only two 3-pin headers not three. I'm going to buy some fans for my case soon.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 8:13:31 PM

^ You can always get 3 pin to Molex converters.
a c 133 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 8:52:18 PM

Your case looks a bit small to me it might get a bit cramped I would suggest upgrading to something with a little more room. You will have to measuer how much clearence you have from CPU to side panel the Hyper 212+ and the likes of it might be too big you might want to look at its baby brother for your case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for your build go with what Shadow and Ares are suggesting your in good hands. ;) 
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 10:31:06 PM

The cheap rosewill cases are actually pretty decent, but i have hard time recommending them over the HAF 912...
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 11:27:55 PM

ITsonic said:
The main reason why I didn't want that Mobo is because there is only two 3-pin headers not three. I'm going to buy some fans for my case soon.


:lol:  Well ... if that's the issue then we have trouble right here in River City, Cowboy :lol: 

With a $500 budget including OS & video card, even with re-using your case, HDD & optical drives from the old rig, best I can figure we still have to cut yah back to a single 2GB stick of RAM until the rebates come in ...

If you want the Crossfire option at x8x8 (the second x16 PCIe slot on the Asus M4A785TD-V Evo is x4) we don't have much room to wiggle here --- and at a minimum you need a stout 600w PSU, so, if you take this ...


AsRock 870 Extreme3 / Corsair 650TX: $165 ($145 after rebate)

Athlon Propus 640 Quad / W7-64: $170


And toss in these ...

HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB for $140 ($120 after rebate) with this 2GB stick of DDR 1333 for $34 ...

The math works like this:

Total $509 up front with $40 in rebates = $467.

That's with the new rig using your current case, HDD and opticals. Throw in a buck and snag that second 2GB stick of RAM (hopefully) for $34.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2010 12:12:08 AM

ares1214 said:
The cheap rosewill cases are actually pretty decent, but i have hard time recommending them over the HAF 912...

The HAF 912 is $60 where as the cheap Rosewill is just $40. But yeah, the HAF 912 is awesome.
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2010 2:19:28 AM

Shadow703793 said:
The HAF 912 is $60 where as the cheap Rosewill is just $40. But yeah, the HAF 912 is awesome.


Eh, this is one case, no pun intended, where the 20$ might be worth it. Also, most of the better rosewill cases are 50$, but most of them are all too narrow. Although ive had my eye on this case for a while, and while it doesnt seem to be a well known case, its a killer value IMO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2010 3:05:46 AM

^ Good point about the depth. Yeah, that could be problematic in the future if OP decides to upgrade the HSF,etc.
October 9, 2010 3:17:20 AM

ares1214 said:
Eh, this is one case, no pun intended, where the 20$ might be worth it. Also, most of the better rosewill cases are 50$, but most of them are all too narrow. Although ive had my eye on this case for a while, and while it doesnt seem to be a well known case, its a killer value IMO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I'm not replacing the this case was made by Axitron Computer Systems

Now if you will I have to go play duke nukem 3d on my pc that is in stand by mode.
!