Dynamic to Basic

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hey guys! I did something which I shouldn't have done! I had 3 primary partitions on my HDD! once I decided to make another partition! I shrank a partition and created another partition! But I didn't know that a disk can not support 4 primary partitions at once! After I created that partition my whole HDD was converted to Dynamic! Now what can I do? deleting all partitions and converting the HDD to basic! what about doing it in Command Prompt? what do you suggest? I tried Partition Wizard Boot CD but It didn't work, saying "Home Edition does not support this feature!"!!!!!!!
Actually I've found something odd!!! When I activate windows on this Dynamic Disk, It doesn't boot!

Solution

Use any partition manager you are familiar with they all do the same thing. Otherwise do as I originally suggested and slave this drive in another system and use easeus partition manager to do the convert.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk.htm

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

I know this! I know! But I can't do this in windows! Because my windows is installed on a dynamic partition! I've tried this way! But I haven't tried Command Prompt yet! I wish it worked!

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Option 4 doesn't work for me! I'd rather use option 3 in command prompt! thank you! but I'm afraid of that! I wish it worked!

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah, this is my boot disk!!!! What shall I do???? EaseUS doesn't work!! you mean option 4 won't work for me? what about loading Command Prompt with a boot disk? ...... :cry: :cry:

No, sorry, I meant if you are unable to boot there would be no way to install the easeus partiton manager. Thus the comment I made to slave the drive. If your drive boots, then this should not be a problem.

You can use any of the four option you want. option four was just the least likely to cause data destruction, but you should make a backup just in case.

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Oh misunderstanding!!!! No! I can boot Windows! I've even installed Partition Master Pro Trial! Activation is my problem! when I actitivate Windows 7 it does not boot! It's installed on a Dynamic Partition! My whole HDD is Dynamic! so what do you suggest! I also have Partition Master Boot CD!

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

easy ....... How about using GParted Boot Disk?

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

so which one is better to delete all partitions and convert to basic? I mean more reliable!
1. Command Prompt on Boot Disk
2. Partition Master Boot CD
3. GParted Live CD

You said you can boot into windows so why do you need all that when windows can do it. Backup any data you need. After backing up, open a command prompt and run diskpart and issue the "clean" command on the drive you want to convert to basic. After that, just use "disk management" to create new partitions on the drive and format them.

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Dear my whole disk is dynamic! Windows is installed on a dynamic partition and I want to convert that to basic! You think I can format Windows partition in Windows???? :eek: It can't delete Windows partition while it's working!

Use any partition manager you are familiar with they all do the same thing. Otherwise do as I originally suggested and slave this drive in another system and use easeus partition manager to do the convert.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk.htm

Solution

expellite

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

ok thanks!