So close, yet so far....

jb12345678

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
guys i love this site the threads and replies are extremely helpful, i am stuck here though. i am using a gateway desktop i think its a gx something, i've basically built a new rig, though.. got a 9400 gt video card it came with an acer g43t-am mobo which since acer doesnt make mobos, i suspect is an 'ecs g43t-m' something... i bought a gigabyte g41m lga-775 combo mobo and installed it, failing to realize my psu was a measly 300 watt fsp... got a new psu now, 600 watt, my question is this, with my new mobo installed everything powered up and worked properly, (it was failing to power up at all, fans spun inside case but power light/ video feed were no goes..) but after windows began to load, i got the blue screen.. So.... first of all is my old mobo better than my new one? and second, should i reinstall my first one and just use it now? i am going to try that seeing as how i have all night to make this work, but without a windows 7 disc (my comp came with it installed) i cannot start it up like that, my mobo came with a driver/bootup start disc to recover things but it still leads to a reboot option, everything else leads to blue screen.. so i have no option i think without a full windows 7 disc but to go with the old mobo... will be the 5th mobo swap, i'm getting pissed, you guys are my only hope, i dont know if the gigabyte chipset was compatable with my old one, the guy that sold me it said it was, i cant find out how to check this info he gave me... let me know what you can guys i appreciate all your knowledge and efforts.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Try and use some paragraphs when posting, it makes it a lot easier to read.

I assume you just plugged your old harddrive in and it wouldn't boot? That doesn't surprise me at all, since all the drivers that your operating system was running with have now changed and are not compatible with the new hardware.

So there are two options you can try:
a.) try the recovery media and use the windows 7 repair function
b.) reinstall the OS

jb12345678

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

jb12345678

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

i used the recovery media cd that came with the gigabyte mobo and it does nothing but give me an option to reboot the computer

if i let it reboot without booting up from/loading the cdrom, it blue screens me.

i cannot reinstall the os because i do not have the windows 7 cd.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Your gonna need a disc to get this running...The only viable option you have is a fresh reinstall of the OS....When you change something major like the MOBO you always should back-up your data then do a fresh install of the OS....no matter what version you have@Supermuncher85