Will this memory work w/ this mobo?

nish-ka-bibble

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Because it said on the specifications that it accepted 1600 RAM at OC (overclocking). I was confused about that and didn't know if this RAM was acceptable in that ASUS board. I didn't know if having 1600 RAM was too much for this and I needed 1333 RAM instead to get 1600 OC. What would that mean for the 1600 RAM that I have?

Also is that ASUS board "noob-user" friendly, since I this is my first build in a very long time ;-)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Dude, that EVGA board is a waste of money. You might argue that you are not gonna go for a 3 way sli anyways, then why pay extra for the supposed privilege that you're never gonna exercise anyways !

Go with that Asus board. I use a rampage myself.

nish-ka-bibble

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Well it is for gaming, work (photoshop & web design) and videos (blu ray, divx, etc.). The RAM came highly recommended, especially on here and it is was on sale. Guess I over did it, huh? :)

But i do want to have Eyefinity. I ordered an XFX HD 5870 and plan to get another one soon, if everything works out.

Everyone is talking about that Rampage 3....which one? That one seems expensive too...

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
You did'nt mention what processor you use / intend to use.

For professional video / photo editing, and multi tasking, a quality quad (depending on your budget) will help you more though than the low latency ram sticks.

You can keep the ram though. A bit of extra memory never hurt no one.

Most games don't yet have the ability to use 4 cores though. For gaming alone, you're better off using a new gen dual core where each core works faster than a PDC / C2D dual core.

I have this one. With the the now discontinued i7 920.

I had to pay ~ $300 though, here in India.

EDIT : - If you can afford it (seeing as you are using a 5870), that's gonna be your best all round option (for video / photo editing & gaming).

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Well, let's look @ the pros & cons.

1. Mine has USB 3.0 support. The P6t does'nt.

2. The gene also has 6.0 Gb/s support. It'll support your barracuda, cavier black, spinpoints (you need that HDD for gaming). Unfortunately, the other one only does 3Gb/s.

3. The P6T is 45 bucks cheaper though.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hang on... Hang on...

I thought you linked me to a P6T. So you must have edited that.

Go with the Gene --- from what you have said, does'nt seem like you'll be needing the Extreme. It's basically the same board anyways with a few more bells & whistles. The price / performance ratio just does'nt add up. Save the 130 bucks.

Btw - Did I mention the audio chipset? Whoh !!! Love the integrated X-Fi.

EDIT : FORGET ABOUT THE LAST COUPLE OF POSTS
(It's past midnight here, & I'm really sleepy) :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
But yes,

"Go with the Gene --- from what you have said, does'nt seem like you'll be needing the Extreme. It's basically the same board anyways with a few more bells & whistles. The price / performance ratio just does'nt add up. Save the 130 bucks.

Btw - Did I mention the audio chipset? Whoh !!! Love the integrated X-Fi."

That part, i do mean. :)