Sign in with
Your question

Pavilion p6510f Additions (GFX Card & RAM, +)

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2010 3:41:50 PM

Hey all, so I just bought http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilio...ea=page_rr form a recent SD, and I want to use it to run the newest version of AutoCAD. I want it to run smoothly throughout, so I figure Ill need another 2 stix of ram (comes twith 64-bit OS, no worries) and a really solid graphics card. Here [autodesk.com] is a tool that lists which GFX cards are recommended for the program (it's an architectural gfx design program, serious stuff).

So I guess Ill need:

1) GFX Card: There are three PICe x1 slots available next to the single PCIe x16 slot for graphics cards, so whatever monster/s I can fit in there, that are on the AutoCAD certified list. WTPay: $400-$600

2) RAM: Already has 4GB of DDR3, would be looking for 2 more stix of 2gb a piece, but not sure how to be sure it's compatible with mobo and current ram (and case size?). WTPay: $100

3) Oh, also, Im sure Ill be needing a new PSU (and possibly cooling?), but I think that much I can handle on my own.

Thanks so much!!

PS: So far, someone told me this:
Quote:
There is not much space inside this computer so you need to think about the cooling as the video card and CPU can get very very hot. And the fans on new PSU (most PSU has the fan at the bottom) and new video card sucking air in opposite direction. As the fan on the PSU is more powerful, the efficiency of the fan on video card will greatly reduced.

And your mobo doesn't support ecc memory. I think yours should be PC3-10600. So you can buy PC3-10600, 10666, or anything higher. Best is to have 3x 2GB or 3x 4GB as ddr3 works the best in triple.

Any thoughts on this?...

Thanks a ton! :bounce: 
August 2, 2010 5:48:18 PM

ecc memory is unimportant. dont worry about the fans cunteracting it should matter that much. maybe upload a picture of the case layout to imageshack or something then link here, so we can see what your working with.
m
l
August 2, 2010 7:52:57 PM

ok, so im not home atm to take some pics of case (coudnt find any online), but here is some more info i found so far:
Ram type: PC3-10600 MB/sec, 240 pin, DDR3
Mobo: Foxconn H-RS780-uATX (hp name: Aloe-GL8E)
Only shot I found so far that may be remotely useful: (Back of pc) http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/22/0...

...pics to come, thanks! :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2010 7:57:58 PM

great thats the onoly one needed! yes you are running a standard atx psu! the nermax unit will owkr fine.
m
l
August 2, 2010 8:11:17 PM

shovenose said:
great thats the onoly one needed! yes you are running a standard atx psu! the nermax unit will owkr fine.

1) Thanks for the super fast reply!

2) Sorry for my ignorance, but what's this Nermax unit you speak of? :D 
m
l
August 2, 2010 8:44:58 PM

oh, lol! gotcha, a quick google brought up that psu company, thanx. youre just saying taht their units will fit, right? anything special about that company, or you just mean any ATX psu shud fit?...

Also, any suggestions for the GFX card? I was thinking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
...or maybe 2 of these?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sorry, but I really dont know much about this stuff, lol! Thanks!
m
l
August 2, 2010 9:02:03 PM

oops sorry ignore enermax i was thinking about a different thread...
any atx psu will fit. actually enermax is only mediocre not the best. sorry about the mistake! corsair, seasonic, antec, pc power&cooling, some enermax, are good brnads. ocz is decent too...
m
l
August 3, 2010 3:44:19 AM

oh, okay, thats good that it was just the wrong thread, because I was beginning to wonder if you just ignored the main question about which GFX card to go with, LOL!

...So whadya think? :) 

TIA!

EDIT: I popped open the sucker and found that the ram is 2x2gb PC3 10600 240 pin DDR3 made by Micron , Serial Number MT16JTF25664AZ-1G4F1. Link to item: http://www.acmemicro.com/estore/ShowProduct.aspx?pid=64...
I cant find the exact same RAM for too cheap, but Ill want to buy another 2x2gb. All I need to do is match up 240 pin, ddr3, and make sure its 1333mhz? I heard people talking about RAM running at different intervals, 7-7-21-7 and stuff like that....?
m
l
August 3, 2010 3:28:55 PM

i was just very confused-sorry about the confusion. anyhow, choose any 1333mhz ddr3 ram you want. but lower CAS LATENCY is better. but more $$$ :) 
it may not run in dual channel but dc barely matters (i still like it though)
m
l
August 3, 2010 3:45:46 PM

shovenose said:
i was just very confused-sorry about the confusion. anyhow, choose any 1333mhz ddr3 ram you want. but lower CAS LATENCY is better. but more $$$ :) 
it may not run in dual channel but dc barely matters (i still like it though)

I guess I should've mentioned this before, but I plan on using this as a workstation to run AutoCAD11. Would dual channel still not matter? N thnx for the lower CAS LATENCY tip, Ill look into that! :) 
m
l
August 9, 2010 8:09:08 PM

Hi,
I just bought a HP p6510f (same as the one discussed above). The PC came with an antena like thing and a cable like port at the bottom (golden in color). I have little knowledge about computers. Can someone please help me to tell what those are for?

Thanks,
David S.
m
l
August 9, 2010 8:14:04 PM

Its a wifi card/antenna. For most people it just means that on the off chance their internet goes down, they can still mooch off their neighbors! :) 
m
l
August 9, 2010 8:40:38 PM

Thanks! I have a wireless router and I assume the PC is wireless ready. Do I still need the antena.

Thanks again.

David S.
m
l
August 9, 2010 8:50:10 PM

it probably wont work without the antenna and if it does then itll go slower and have bad range.
m
l
August 9, 2010 9:50:18 PM

Thank you all for your kind help.

Regards,

David S.
m
l
Anonymous
September 8, 2010 5:34:20 PM

JE slt vend Justement UNE barette ram of this : / MT16JTF25664AZ - 1G4F1 0952
SI CELA Vous interesse contacter moi sur : zeus.41 @ hotmail.fr