RAID 0 Configuration

redcode

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hi guys i'm a video editor and i have 4 hard drives. I've heard something about this RAID thing that it would be faster and stuff like that.
Can anyone tell me how to do a raid and What is it exactly thanks.

I have a p7p55d Mobo

One red WD 1 Tb
One Blue WD 1 Tb
And a Green WD 1 Tb

And a 500Gb Blue WD For the System..

**WD=(Western Digital)

RealBeast

Titan
RAID (look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels ) is just a way to either stripe files to several drives to improve performance or mirror drives to improve reliability or both, depending on the RAID level used.

I do a lot of video editing and find that a system with an SSD for the OS and programs, an SSD for a scratch disk, and a RAID 5 array for storage on a PCIe RAID card (usually an Adaptec 6405 or 6805) with 4 or more identical drives gives me the best performance but it is not an inexpensive solution.

I would not rely on motherboard RAID controllers for important work, and would not suggest using RAID on a bunch of different drives. It really all comes down to your budget, what can you afford?

Also, always remember that RAID is NOT a backup -- it is only a fault tolerant and often higher performance storage solution. If your work is important, always keep backups of the original video and the edited work unless you are willing to re-shoot or re-create everything.

TRENDING THREADS