Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Virtual MS DOS 6.22 Guest ??? heats Dell Alienware Aurora ALX Desktop'

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2010 4:10:21 AM

Hello,
I need detailed clarification whether running a Virtual Machine hosted by Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and MS DOS 6.22 as Guest OS
on my Dell Alienware Aurora ALX with Intel Core i7 CPU 960@3.20 GHz - 12 GB RAM will overheat the PC's Processor and/or wreck
the PC?

I read in http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewt [...] =4&t=34973 and http://forums.virtualbox.org/ucp.php?
i=pm&mode=compose&u=17693 "DOS is not fancy and with the new machines it uses 50% of your processor even at idle." and "One
other consideration is that DOS in VirtualBox works but uses 100% of the processor. This of course will cause the processor to
heat up" and "You never had overheating because you never used DOS in a Virtual Environment and you used it on slower machines
that did not have the problems the new machines have with running DOS based programs. You can install DOS in VBox but you need
to really watch the temp of the CPU. That's why I strongly suggest that you use VPC instead. If you plan to do anything
processor intensive VPC will be your best bet my friend. I love VBox but for these out dated OSes (kind of like me) you will be
better off with the Microsoft VPC in my opinion. Use VirtualBox for the newer OSes and enjoy the learning of other types of
operating systems.

My Dell Alienware Aurora ALX is already running another VM with Windows XP SP2 as Guest OS - Windows XP Mode - without any
problem of processor overheating!

Also which of the following x86 virtualisers is safest for Dell Alienware Aurora ALX - Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, Microsoft
Virtual PC2007(does not support MS DOS), Windows VPC inside Windows 7 (does not support MS DOS), VirtualBox (? Overheat
Processor), VmWarePlayer, ParallelsDesktop, DOSBOX Etc

Googolplex Thanx in advance!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 2:27:38 PM

What makes you think it will overheat?

You can slow your machine up running too many VMs at once, but your 12GB RAM should prevent that.

So unless your VMs push the CPU to 100% load then you have nothing to worry about.

To be safe, just run some temperature monitoring software (RealTemp, CoreTemp, HWMonitor, etc.) and see how hot your CPU gets, but frankly if your CPU gets hot just running software then you have a problem with your cooling system.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 2:50:16 PM

Even at 100% load if you didn't overclock the CPU's stock heatsink is designed to handle it.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 7, 2010 2:57:36 PM

LePhuronn said:
So unless your VMs push the CPU to 100% load then you have nothing to worry about.

If I remember correctly, DOS runs the CPU flat out all the time; it won't sleep when idle as modern operating systems do.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 3:00:49 PM

MarkG said:
If I remember correctly, DOS runs the CPU flat out all the time; it won't sleep when idle as modern operating systems do.

Who needs Prime95 then! Just run DOS in a VM and use that to heat your CPU!

Seriously, the issue here I think is sufficient cooling - if the CPU loads up to 100% and the system overheats then cooling is inadequate.

The fact the the OP's system is an Alienware I should imagine that cooling will be OK.
m
l
October 7, 2010 3:15:40 PM

LePhuronn said:
What makes you think it will overheat?

You can slow your machine up running too many VMs at once, but your 12GB RAM should prevent that.

To be safe, just run some temperature monitoring software (RealTemp, CoreTemp, HWMonitor, etc.) and see how hot your CPU gets, but frankly if your CPU gets hot just running software then you have a problem with your cooling system.

Thanx LePhuronn,

I am monitoring CPU load in % and temp in C.

Surprisingly even Windows XP mode loads the CPU 100% with system idle processes alone.

The system fans, which run "silently" when idling, start roaring when System Virus scan is running (CPU load 30%) and

become "silent" again when virus scan is finished ((CPU load by idling (just monitoring) AVG is 0%))!

So maybe, a VM with MS DOS 6.22 as Guest OS may also be as safe as Windows XP mode.

LMK
m
l
October 7, 2010 3:18:12 PM

wolfram23 said:
Even at 100% load if you didn't overclock the CPU's stock heatsink is designed to handle it.

Thanx Wolfram23,

I don't overclock.

LMK
m
l
October 7, 2010 3:25:27 PM

MarkG said:

Thanx MarkG.

Your words "DOS runs the CPU flat out all the time; it won't sleep when idle as modern operating systems do." echo what

PerryG wrote in Virtualbox forum http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewt [...] =4&t=34973 and

http://forums.virtualbox.org/ucp.php? i=pm&mode=compose&u=17693.

LMK
m
l
October 17, 2010 5:02:03 AM

Best answer selected by logamuthu.
m
l
!