Graphical Artifacts in Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I'm having some serious issues on my AMD desktop. I'm running a Geforce 7600GS AGP with a fan attached. It keeps temps down under 60C even under load. For some reason I keep getting weird graphical glitches in my games. In some games they're not too bad, like in F.E.A.R they just present as dark lines on walls or particles showing up as lines. But in some games, like Aquaria (pictured below), everything on the screen is just messed up. Every game seems to have its own problem with my computer. Any idea what could be causing this?

Aquaria.jpg

Also, and this might be the reason, I recently swapped out motherboard/processor. In removing my P4 I ruined it, so I moved all my parts into this AMD desktop and haven't reformatted/reinstalled anything. Could that cause this? Thanks.

Solution
I'm sorry to have to break it to you mate, your graphic card is dead, la Mort, has kicked the bucket, bought the farm, checked out, is no more etc.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Since you say you haven't formatted or reinstalled anything, there could be a slim chance recent drivers for the gpu might fix it. But I doubt it. Like what mousemonkey said, you're gpu is most likely dead and it's time for a replacement.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Alright, I figured. It runs ok enough in some games it'll last me a bit. I can't afford a new PCIe system, so I'm thinking a new AGP card might be in order, but I'm concerned about CPU bottlenecking. Some of the Radeon's I've been looking at have a 600Mhz core clock and up, will that bottleneck on my Athlon XP 2600+?

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Alright, new Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit AGP 4x/8x card on the way, plus a new 84cfm fan to keep all this stuff cool, thanks for letting me know, I guess I was just putting it off, hoping it was a driver issue or something, but this card has always run really really hot (like over 100C) and it wasn't until recently I figured it out and fixed it, guess I was too late.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Alright, not to revive a dead thread but I just wanted to mention, after OCing my CPU and attaching a fan to the heatsink on my card, these issues have gone away. I still occasionally get an artifact or two, but I just played Aquaria without a single blip.

Weird huh? Maybe Nvidia cards can heal themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS