Gtx 480 performance?

zoranzoran

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Well, I bought my new rig a week ago. I started dling all the new games. I had purchased a gigabyte gtx 480 after reading the reviews and realised it was a great card. I benchmark crysis 0 af 0 aa on a 1680X1050 monitor and I only get 29 fps average.
Toms on the otherhand has at least around 10 fps more than I got. My i5 is at stock and maybe that is bottlenecking? I have a cold case and the card is not overheating . I have a 1000w psu so power isnt a issue , and I have 4gb of ram so thats not a problem. Also my cpu is well cooled. Thanks for replies in advance. :fou:

Solution
Well I have a couple of things. It could help your situation by overclocking your i5. The 480 needs a good overclock to stretch its legs. Another suggestion is do you have the latest patch for crysis? If not that could be hurting your performance. Lastly stop using an almost 4 year old game to benchmark. Crysis is broken and horribly optimized because its not. Almost 4 years later, that game can still bring brand new tech to its knees. Thats not a technological advance in gaming engines its just a crap programmed engine. To see where your performance is failing, run 3d mark and compare it to other peoples systems that are configured like yours. If your numbers are about the same, then you dont have a problem.

I dont think its the...

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Well I have a couple of things. It could help your situation by overclocking your i5. The 480 needs a good overclock to stretch its legs. Another suggestion is do you have the latest patch for crysis? If not that could be hurting your performance. Lastly stop using an almost 4 year old game to benchmark. Crysis is broken and horribly optimized because its not. Almost 4 years later, that game can still bring brand new tech to its knees. Thats not a technological advance in gaming engines its just a crap programmed engine. To see where your performance is failing, run 3d mark and compare it to other peoples systems that are configured like yours. If your numbers are about the same, then you dont have a problem.

I dont think its the card, I just think its crysis. Do yourself another favor and use Metro 2033 as a benchmark. Its new, looks better than crysis and is optimised to run good with the 480 even tho the ati cards get like 4 more frames.

I have an I7 860 with the 480 and honestly it eats anything you can throw at it. Im also clocked up to 4.2 so I dont know how much that has anything to do with it.

Oh yeah also dl msi afterburner to set your fan curves so it doesnt reach that 90deg people are talking about and If your temps are good, overclock the card! I have mine oc'ed on stock voltages to 815 shader. Good luck and you did make a good choice in graphics.

Solution

zoranzoran

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Amazing answer , thanks I agree I do love my card it is great. I have to tweak with my mobo its not really letting me overclock my i5 cooling is not a problem thanks to the excellent zalman performa fan I put on it. Thanks for the answer and I really am looking forward to unleashing this thing.