yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
What is the difference except for price between a Xeon cpu and a i7 cpu? i cannot find the asnwer to that anywhere which i have looked so i am asking here. any generation of Xeon and any model of i7.

The current xeons are basically the same as the i7s. However, they are made for server mobos, so iirc, they can be used two at a time. (so a mobo would have 12 cores and 24 threads if you use 2x hexacore Xeons)

I'm not 100% sure on this.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
If you start this thread as a discussion thread then you cannot select best answer.Only question threads get that option.
Ouch! Didn't notice that part. You really deserve it though. That technical answer was excellent. :D

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

I agree on the query issue. As for the jibberish term, that's too cold.

That entire response was a direct copy and paste from this website. You should cite your sources, otherwise it's plagiarism.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-xeon-and-i7/

Intel Xeon is a multi-core, multi-thread and sixty-four-bit processor, that is Nehalem-based. It is specially designed for server farms and workstations. It has DCM (Data Center Management) software that provides better management for servers and workstations in data centers. Xeon is excellent for servers, especially with its multi-socket and multi-core configurations, that run windows server 2008 as a 64-bit, with lots of memory. Added to this, is it’s ability for power management, which adapts to different server workloads. This is considered to be it’s major difference, when compared to Intel i7.

Intel Core i7 is a sixty-four-bit processor containing mainly four cores. Unlike Xeon, i7 is quite excellent for desktop PCs. It has a high-speed for multi-tasking applications and handles the computing demands of desktops well. It also provides a better virtualization experience with its HD Boost technology. This is why most gamers favor i7 over Xeon. Another reason is that, as of now, games don’t really work with 8-core. Most games still work better with 2-core.

Core i7 is a family of desktop and laptop processors, which succeeds the Intel Core 2 family. The i7 family is composed of codename Bloomfield, released last November, 2008, Lynnfield and Clarksfield, released last September, 2009 and the upcoming Arrandale, which will be released in 2010. All these current models are quad-core processors, except the upcoming ‘Arrandale’, which is said to have a 2-core.

On the other hand, the Xeon processor family is composed of P6 based Xeons, NetBurst based Xeons, Xeon (UP/DP), Dual Core, Pentium M (Yonah) based Xeons, Core based Xeons and Nehalem based Xeons. Previously, Xeon shared it’s name with Pentium II, as they have the same features. Later on, the cache memory of Xeon was increased, making it more convenient for servers. As the years have passed, Xeons have been improved, and new features have been added, producing these different Xeon based processors.

As of now, Xeon processors are more expensive than i7 because of their intended market of business users. The price for Xeon family processors range from $167.00 – $3157.00, while the prices for Core i7 processors range only from $284.00 – $562.00.

Read more: Difference Between Xeon and i7 | Difference Between | Xeon vs i7 http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-xeon-and-i7/#ixzz11jNd0XyH

Summary:

1. Xeon processors are intended for servers and workstations, while Core i7 processors are for desktop PCs.

2. Core i7 features a better virtualization and digital media experience, which supports photo creation and publishing, video encoding and more complex games.

3. Xeon is a successor to Pentium II, while Core i7 is a successor to the Core 2 family.

4. Xeon processors are more expensive, with a price range of $167.00 – $3157.00. Core i7 has a price range of $284.00 – $562.00.

Read more: Difference Between Xeon and i7 | Difference Between | Xeon vs i7 http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-xeon-and-i7/#ixzz11jNi4bBv

1. Xeon processors are intended for servers and workstations, while Core i7 processors are for desktop PCs.

This is not entirely true.. Any CPU/platform can be used for desktop/workstation/server purposes.. Processors like Xeon/Opteron have the advantage that they can be used to form a multi-processor system giving extra horsepower.. Also, they have a relatively lower power draw which helps with energy savings and/or increased performance per watt..

Xeon processors are more expensive, with a price range of $167.00 – $3157.00. Core i7 has a price range of $284.00 – $562.00.

We all know that the core i7 constitutes processor(s) with price tag exceeding 1000$.. The lower price range, depending where you purchase it from, starts from 200$..