GTX 465 SLi vs 480?

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
465 should win, but I would go with the 480, one powerful card is a better solution than 2 weaker cards. If a game does not support SLI very well then you will underperform, on the rare occasion a game does not support it at all you end up with only one card running. When the 465 starts struggling you have no where to go as ou are already SLIing, whereas with one 480 you add another when you need to.

But it is ultimately down to what you like -same as people going with 2 5770s instead of a 5850. Some like to, others prefer not to

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Just because AMD CPUs can unlock doesn't mean everything can unlock now. And not every AMD CPU can unlock. I won't even want to unlock AMD cpus since faulty cores take a LOT of voltage to get working.

But anyway the GTX 465 SLI would perform but as said any dual card solution causes artifacts more frequently and some games don't like SLI/Crossfire, then you have to turn one off and you lose a lot of performance. The savings isn't that much either.

I don't know if it'll be an unfixable brick, but GTX 465s had 160 CUDA cores disabled for a reason. I doubt they'll all unlock perfectly. You'll still have 1024 MB of memory though, not the GTX 470's 1280 MB because the memory chips are actually missing.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
well went ahead and read that Romanian article, and it has reassured me that, your are just blowing smoke up you know where, but i still wouldn't go around guaranteeing, that's its a for sure thing maybe even like 80-90% i would just say that it's a pretty safe bet you can unlock it, but the word will unlock is a guarantee no one can make

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
In that entire thread nobody has done it, they are all talking about the link.
Seriously stop it, you're telling the OP that this is fine and dandy. If fails the system will be a brick without another display adapter or a blind flash.

I have to agree with sabot00 on this one though (no matter how much that pains me!) because it cannot be guaranteed that every GTX465 will be unlockable to 470 specs because at some point some poor ah heck is going to get one that was crippled for good reason just like with the tri core CPU's or even the dualies that can be unlocked, at some point someone is going to get one that craps out.

I'm not saying it can't be or hasn't been done it's just that I feel that like the 5830 there is a valid reason why a GPU that could be sold for more isn't being sold for more. I am fully aware that there are those who don't agree with me on that and who think or feel that the 465 and 5830 are just marketing exercises rather than a means of getting revenue from defective parts but as I can't see the financial sense in that I shall have to remain in disagreement until such things are verified by reputable sources, which does not mean Charlie D!

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
My main reason is that simply, you can't do any real harm by overclocking, and the harm with unlocking is still less than this.
Both overclocking an unlocking are well-documented, and done a lot, Tom's has mentioned both quite a lot. However this is not only unheard of, but very dangerous and while thousands (at least) have OC'd/unlocked, few people have done this.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
well that can depends really alot on what the rest of your system looks like, if you have a core i7 that already really overclocked, then probably not but if you have a power shipping core i3, something from amd's camp then it would be close but possible