Replacement for X-Fi fatality

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Hi....help please. Have an old x-fi fatality card with the optical out which I used to record midi sequences to mini disc. Well, x-fi finally died. Interface was regular PCI. Old computer and mobo only has regular pci slots. Was wondering if anyone one has suggestions for a replacement sound card w/ optical out. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all.

Solution
Do you need PCI-E, or can you stick with PCI?

My recommendations are still the same: HT Omega Striker (PCI, $89) ASUS Xonar D1 (PCI, $89), ASUS Xonar DX (PCI-E, $89), Auzentech Prelude (PCI, ~$120), ASUS Xonar D2 (~$150, PCI) and ASUS Xonar D2X (~$150, PCI-E)

*The D1/DX and D2/D2X are functionally equivalent except for the PCI->PCI-E bridge chip on the DX and D2X. Note, this chip can cause problems on some nforce motherboards. Its also worth noting the D2 in particular has stand alone SPDIF inputs/outputs, where the D2X shares the SPDIF Input port with the microphone input.

You can move up, of course, but unless you need a headphone amp or a full blown HT Sound card with HDMI, these are the best options.

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Can you please let us know about all the uses that the sound card must me able to do and budget available ?? Movie playback, music, surround sound gaming, etc...

Do you need PCI-E, or can you stick with PCI?

My recommendations are still the same: HT Omega Striker (PCI, $89) ASUS Xonar D1 (PCI, $89), ASUS Xonar DX (PCI-E, $89), Auzentech Prelude (PCI, ~$120), ASUS Xonar D2 (~$150, PCI) and ASUS Xonar D2X (~$150, PCI-E)

*The D1/DX and D2/D2X are functionally equivalent except for the PCI->PCI-E bridge chip on the DX and D2X. Note, this chip can cause problems on some nforce motherboards. Its also worth noting the D2 in particular has stand alone SPDIF inputs/outputs, where the D2X shares the SPDIF Input port with the microphone input.

You can move up, of course, but unless you need a headphone amp or a full blown HT Sound card with HDMI, these are the best options.

Solution

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010

Main use is just to be able to record out to mini disc via optical directly from sequencing program. Other restriction is that my sequencing software and virtual tone engine only runs under XP. Tried to run programs under Win 7 compatibility but no luck. Only have win 7 home premium....have thought about upgrade to Professional so can try the Virtual function but haven't done so. As for budget...about $125. X-FI cost me $200 when first bought it. Thanks for the response noble. Much appreciated.

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010

Will look into suggestions gamerk.....thank you.

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
sorry folks....didn't mention that have 2 computers. Older one running XP exclusively for music sequencing. Newer one for everything else running Win 7 home. My bad....

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hello there! Added to the cards mentioned by fellow posters I suggest you have a look also at Creative X-Fi HD USB which could be used in another PC when this becomes obsolete, since it connects with USB.

IMO you don't buy sound cards very often so you shouldn't look only at PCI. It has 5 years warranty too.

I wonder why the fatality series comes with only 1 year though... Pretty disappoint having a 200$ sound card die on you and be out of warranty...

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010

great suggestion noble. will definitely look into this one....much thanks.

Hello there! Added to the cards mentioned by fellow posters I suggest you have a look also at Creative X-Fi HD USB which could be used in another PC when this becomes obsolete, since it connects with USB.

IMO you don't buy sound cards very often so you shouldn't look only at PCI. It has 5 years warranty too.

I wonder why the fatality series comes with only 1 year though... Pretty disappoint having a 200$ sound card die on you and be out of warranty...

I disagree on any USB "soundcard"; the only thing they do is provide an interface to the USB sound driver, which is very low quality. When it comes to recording, I wouldn't even consider this route.

I disagree on any USB "soundcard"; the only thing they do is provide an interface to the USB sound driver, which is very low quality. When it comes to recording, I wouldn't even consider this route.[/quotemsg]
Not to mention I doubt you will find an optical out on any USB solution.

OP go with any of gamerk suggestions. Good Luck

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
thanks again all for all the helpful advice and suggestions. after looking at everything, decided on the HT Omega. Waiting for delivery and hoping for the best.

Much thanks everyone.

tama

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Just an update to all who assisted..... HT Omega Striker works great; does what I needed it to do. Much thanks to all. And big thx to gamerk316 for the suggestions - did the trick.

TRENDING THREADS