Sign in with
Your question

No display sometimes, no boot sometimes, PSU problem?

Last response: in Components
October 7, 2010 8:52:56 AM

Hi all,

I have a system I built that is having serious issues. I had the problems when I first built it six months ago, but they went away strangely, with just one or two recurrences. But now they're back and worse than ever.

Here are the specs before I continue;

PSU: Sharkoon 450W - +3.3 V = 22A, +5 V = 15A, +12 V1 = 18A, +12 V2 = 18A, -12 V = 0.3A +Vsb = 2.5A
Motherboard: Asus M4N78 SE
RAM: 2GB Geil DDRII
CPU: AMD AM2 X2-5200
GPU: Sparkle low profile geforce 9800GT

At the time of build I didn't know much about PSU's. But now I realise that 18A on the 12 V rail is probably not good enough for a 9800GT GPU. I read in a review that a 9800GT will need at least 26A on the 12 V rail. So I'm thinking this is where my problem is? Or will the fact my PSU has two 12 V rails with 18A each make my total amperage on the 12 V rail 36?? Still a bit confused when it comes to PSU's...

I just want to make sure this is the problem before I go spend €100 on a new and improved PSU.

Well, here is what happens: I go to start the computer as normal with power button, and sometimes it gives me no display, but fans are spinning and sometimes I can hear windows boot up sound through the speakers, so know the computer is working, but there is just no display.

Sometimes it does display, and I can get on and play games like DiRT 2 and Street Fighter 4 with no problems at all.

Lately, it's not even booting windows (don't hear the windows boot up sound through speakers) and it has three or four beeps after a few minutes of just the fans spinning.

Does this sound like it's the PSU's problem? Or could it be something else? I don't have any spare PSU's to test with it.

Thanks.
October 7, 2010 9:42:33 AM

Swooshticles said:
Hi all,

I have a system I built that is having serious issues. I had the problems when I first built it six months ago, but they went away strangely, with just one or two recurrences. But now they're back and worse than ever.

Here are the specs before I continue;

PSU: Sharkoon 450W - +3.3 V = 22A, +5 V = 15A, +12 V1 = 18A, +12 V2 = 18A, -12 V = 0.3A +Vsb = 2.5A
Motherboard: Asus M4N78 SE
RAM: 2GB Geil DDRII
CPU: AMD AM2 X2-5200
GPU: Sparkle low profile geforce 9800GT

At the time of build I didn't know much about PSU's. But now I realise that 18A on the 12 V rail is probably not good enough for a 9800GT GPU. I read in a review that a 9800GT will need at least 26A on the 12 V rail. So I'm thinking this is where my problem is? Or will the fact my PSU has two 12 V rails with 18A each make my total amperage on the 12 V rail 36?? Still a bit confused when it comes to PSU's...

I just want to make sure this is the problem before I go spend €100 on a new and improved PSU.

Well, here is what happens: I go to start the computer as normal with power button, and sometimes it gives me no display, but fans are spinning and sometimes I can hear windows boot up sound through the speakers, so know the computer is working, but there is just no display.

Sometimes it does display, and I can get on and play games like DiRT 2 and Street Fighter 4 with no problems at all.

Lately, it's not even booting windows (don't hear the windows boot up sound through speakers) and it has three or four beeps after a few minutes of just the fans spinning.

Does this sound like it's the PSU's problem? Or could it be something else? I don't have any spare PSU's to test with it.

Thanks.

Hello!

Make sure everything is seated properly on its socket, RAM, CPU etc. Also update motherboard BIOS to latest revision.
If problem persists use programs like prime or CPUBurn to maximize CPU load and FurMark for GPU Load.

The general idea would be to try and load your PSU as much as you can and see how it behaves...

You could also try and check motherboard manual/online to find out what that sequence of beeps means: RAM not present, GFX card not seated properly ? CPU ?
October 7, 2010 9:49:26 AM

noble said:
Hello!

Make sure everything is seated properly on its socket, RAM, CPU etc. Also update motherboard BIOS to latest revision.
If problem persists use programs like prime or CPUBurn to maximize CPU load and FurMark for GPU Load.

The general idea would be to try and load your PSU as much as you can and see how it behaves...

You could also try and check motherboard manual/online to find out what that sequence of beeps means: RAM not present, GFX card not seated properly ? CPU ?

Ah! So the beeps might actually be important. I will have a read about those. The system is on fine now. So I am thinking everything is seated properly if it is coming on sometimes? I haven't reseated or moved anything.

I think I will get the new PSU today anyway, since my GPU recommends me to have 26A on the 12 V rail and the PSU currently in there only has 18A on the 12 v rail. We'll see how it performs with the new PSU. Fingers crossed that solves everything.

I'm just really hoping to confirm it is a power problem as at least I will have an answer then. Being in the dark about the problem is very frustrating.
Related resources
October 7, 2010 10:33:09 AM

Just read abou the beeps. Now it has me thinking it could be a GPU not mounted correctly problem! It's one long beep with 3 short ones. And the symptoms associated with it are the symptoms my computer has.

Very frustrating. I just want to know what the problem is so I can get it fixed. If I buy a €100 PSU and this problem persists it would be hugely annoying.

I don't know what to do. The system is working fine right now, but who knows when it will act up next.
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 11:38:55 AM

Your PSU is adequate for the video card. That 26 amp suggested rating is for your entire system. You probably have around 30 - 32 amps total 12 volt capacity. The label on your PSU should be able to tell you the total 12 volt power of the PSU is. It probably will not be 36 amps.

Let me get this straight. You boot and three things happens:
1. System boots normally.
2. System boots and you hear the desktop start up with the "TaDAH" sound but no video.
3. System fails to boot and the POST beeps are one long and three short beeps.

If so, #2 and #3 would seem to indicate that the video card is failing intermittently.

Depending on the model of your 9800GT, the peak 3D (gaming) load of your card is around 7 - 12 amps. But the initial 2D load at boot is about one third of that.

That would seem to indicate that the problem you have is not power related.
October 7, 2010 12:06:46 PM

jsc said:
Your PSU is adequate for the video card. That 26 amp suggested rating is for your entire system. You probably have around 30 - 32 amps total 12 volt capacity. The label on your PSU should be able to tell you the total 12 volt power of the PSU is. It probably will not be 36 amps.

Let me get this straight. You boot and three things happens:
1. System boots normally.
2. System boots and you hear the desktop start up with the "TaDAH" sound but no video.
3. System fails to boot and the POST beeps are one long and three short beeps.

If so, #2 and #3 would seem to indicate that the video card is failing intermittently.

Depending on the model of your 9800GT, the peak 3D (gaming) load of your card is around 7 - 12 amps. But the initial 2D load at boot is about one third of that.

That would seem to indicate that the problem you have is not power related.

Thanks alot for that reply.

The screen has gone blue on me now!? It happened as I moved the vga cable wire a little bit. Could the GPU card being lose and moving cause this? Could it be the cause of all the other problems?
October 14, 2010 9:57:06 AM

Just an update on this; it does seem to be a problem with the GPU not sitting correctly in it's slot. One long beep and three short ones pointed me to this. Anytime I get the problem now I just reseat the GPU and it works.
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 12:34:30 PM

Well, there you go.

Good job. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to isolate.
February 1, 2011 11:11:17 AM

I am having the same problem most of the times there is no display but there is also no beep sound at all.
March 27, 2011 4:26:16 AM

Same here, what GPU and PSU are you using?
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2011 5:40:34 AM

both of you, try reseating the video card!
March 27, 2011 4:07:07 PM

Thanks for your help. It worked, I moved the card over to the 'secondary' PCI slot.

I'm hoping the problem doesn't come back though, because it happened the first boot after building the computer, and then after about a day, it started working. Then it worked for about a week and then again last night it happened again.

It's as if the Display doesn't receive a signal, so it stays in like an idle stage. But the PC is running but with the fans spinning faster than normal, and it just stays like that. Black display and noisy fans.

When it does work, and the display comes up, the fans work at a regular speed and the noise is minimal.

So for now switching the card over to the other slot worked. I have the XFX 5770 HD.

Anybody experiencing the same exact thing?
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2011 4:25:10 PM

if the fans are loud then that means the system hasn't completed POST.
!