Sign in with
Your question

Gamming PC help for new FF XIV upcomming game for costs around $ 1500

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2010 9:00:46 PM

Hi, havent bought a pc in 10 years and looking to buy a brand new PC without trying to build one myself.
I am mostly concerned about the processor and the video card, I have done some research but would like some suggestions regarding which might work better together.

I am leaning towards a i7-870 over a i7-920 from what I have read I can afford the cost and it seems to be better. The graphics card I was looking to use was the Nvidia Geforce GTX 480 which ive read is pretty good also but i see alot of ppl using the ATI Radeon HD 5870. Is the Radeon a better match or if I can spend a little more will I get more out of the Nvidia regaurding FF XIV. Maybe dumb question also but what type of motherboards would work ok-well with this. I hate asking for help but i normally play consoles and Id like to get this right hte first time if im gonna spend over 1k, thank you for any responses.
August 2, 2010 6:30:10 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Buwish
August 2, 2010 7:12:06 PM

mcdougal806 said:
Hi, havent bought a pc in 10 years and looking to buy a brand new PC without trying to build one myself.
I am mostly concerned about the processor and the video card, I have done some research but would like some suggestions regarding which might work better together.

I am leaning towards a i7-870 over a i7-920 from what I have read I can afford the cost and it seems to be better. The graphics card I was looking to use was the Nvidia Geforce GTX 480 which ive read is pretty good also but i see alot of ppl using the ATI Radeon HD 5870. Is the Radeon a better match or if I can spend a little more will I get more out of the Nvidia regaurding FF XIV. Maybe dumb question also but what type of motherboards would work ok-well with this. I hate asking for help but i normally play consoles and Id like to get this right hte first time if im gonna spend over 1k, thank you for any responses.

hi, you can check my build here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291602-31-unbeatable-...

when you only use one GTX 460 card, the cost will drop to 15xx. I think it is good enough for FFXIV release. later when you want to improve the performance, buy another 460 card. i believe 460 card price will drop next year and you might buy one with around 100 someday. it gives you lots of potential.
Related resources
August 2, 2010 7:57:49 PM

FFXIV's SLI support is questionable. To get the bench to properly utilize both GPUs, you have to mod some of the files. I literally just built a new build this weekend for FFXIV and scored ~5000 on high with stock settings. If you want, I can paste my whole build for you, but the key components were:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I like the mobo a lot, very easy to overclock. 5870 > 470 for FFXIV with the current drivers based on BlueGartr's score table. You also said you did not want to build it yourself, but this was the first computer I had ever built from scratch and I really enjoyed the process. All-in, my build was ~$1900, but that included Win7 ($100), a nice Intel X-25M SSD ($200), and a monitor ($200).
August 2, 2010 8:30:30 PM

havilape said:
FFXIV's SLI support is questionable. To get the bench to properly utilize both GPUs, you have to mod some of the files. I literally just built a new build this weekend for FFXIV and scored ~5000 on high with stock settings. If you want, I can paste my whole build for you, but the key components were:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I like the mobo a lot, very easy to overclock. 5870 > 470 for FFXIV with the current drivers based on BlueGartr's score table. You also said you did not want to build it yourself, but this was the first computer I had ever built from scratch and I really enjoyed the process. All-in, my build was ~$1900, but that included Win7 ($100), a nice Intel X-25M SSD ($200), and a monitor ($200).

FFXIV definitely support SLI. Nvidia is FFXIV sponsor. 5870 is way too expensive.
August 2, 2010 9:28:06 PM

The benchmark for FF XIV doesn't support crossfire or SLI, it runs in a window, but the game should.

And as yanje03 is saying, it is a TWIMTBP game, but even so, at current, ATI cards are running the game better, just like it happened back when FF XI was released in NA, hopefully Nvidia can optimized their drivers and get better performance.

Take a look at this post on FFXIVCore.com listing CPU and GPU and how they perform.
August 5, 2010 7:20:36 PM

Thanks for the info, i recently found a guy who said that he would be able to build a computer for me, might help me save some cost shopping around for parts. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you all again.
August 5, 2010 8:08:12 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Moving Sept 6th, so would like to have completed computer by end of August.

BUDGET RANGE: 1,200-1500 $ after rebates is fine.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: GAMING, internet, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Have keyboards and mouse, have a 10 year old Dell demension 2400 tower which i will sell at a moving sale unless it can be used for this, it is good sized.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: i guess newegg.com and ive found some stuff at amazon.com with some pretty cheap pricing for the same parts.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type Not many preferences, I do want a I7 processor, and parts that match well with it. Looking to get a new monitor flatscreen nothing big or fancy just to upgrade.

OVERCLOCKING: I would prefer it

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Leaning towards yes, whichever pair better with processor Mobo and Vid card.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Honestly i dont know this one. Looking to get a 17-19 inch monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Windows 7, doesnt have to be the quietest but on the quiet side, and dont want issues with overheating. I would like to hit at least a 4k benchmark on the FFXIV game with my budget, if it would cost less than awezome, if it would be more than id like to know what my options would be.

Thank you for listing this stuff for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 5, 2010 8:19:04 PM

Also just found this comment from somone building dont know if this is something i should be expecting more or less?

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ($90)
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 ($200)
Memory: Corsair Dominator6gb (3x2) DDR3 1600mhz RAM ($160)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB ($347)
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D ($243)
Power Supply: Etasis 750 Watt ($50)
Heat Sink: Noctua NH-D14 ($87)

Total: $1281 (+$100 since I had to buy Windows 7)

Recommended specs for the game just found, might help some, its recommended but I want better with my price range preferably.

OS 32bit/64bit Windows 7 (※1 )
CPU Intel ® Core ™ i7 2.66GHz
Main memory 4GB or more
Hard drive / SSD space Installation: at least 15GB of free space
Download: My Documents drive space of at least 6GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GTX 460 (VRAM 768MB or more)
Sound card DirectSound ® compatible sound card (DirectX ® 9.0c or higher)
Communication environment Over broadband (always-required)
Screen Resolution More than 1280 × 720 32bit
DirectX ® DirectX 9.0c
Other Mouse, keyboard, game pad
August 5, 2010 8:46:21 PM

That's all good except the Etasis PSU. I hope whoever is building that gets corrected.

My experience on these boards and in general lead me to think that you will never get a second GPU unless you buy up front.... and a single 5870 would be overkill already on any 19" monitor.

Here is the way I would do this:

I5 760 and Gigabyte UD4P board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

G.skill DDR3 4GB 1600 CL7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gigabyte 5870 (overclocked)

CM HAF

Corsair HX750 and WD 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Asus optical drive

OS

Monitor
Asus 21.5" 1920x1080
August 5, 2010 9:19:23 PM

seems like a great setup for me. So the i-5 760 will compare close to the i-8's and i-9's? I have seem alot of ppl still using the i-5 and the 2.8 ghz is very nice still for a quad core, and that vid card is very nice also.
August 5, 2010 9:30:59 PM

First off, I'm sure the processor recommendation on that game is a bit overblown. That's a whole lot of power for a game, and you will easily overclock it anyway. I doubt very much that any upcoming MMO would jump so far ahead of the pack in demands... they have to be able to sell the game to millions of people you know.

I didn't include a heatsink... If you are going to OC you need a bit more there:
August 5, 2010 11:15:28 PM

One other quick thing was reading another post that someone said to use the i5-760 over the i7-930 mainly because he was not using sli or crossfire. I do now believe that the game im playing with enable sli and crossfire and i honestly dont even know what sli and crossfire are. So my question besides what those are is will the i5 put any constraints on me compared to the i7 with the crossfire, thanks again probably my last question, this site is very friendly and helpful!
August 5, 2010 11:44:44 PM

SLI and Crossfire are both ways of using more than one video card to boost GPU performance.

If the cards are Nvidia it's called SLI. If the cards are ATI it's called crossfire.

The motherboard I used in the build is capable of crossfire (and I think SLI as well, it's been a while since I used it in a build). I included it to keep the option open, but I do not think you will need it.

If you were going to spend just a bit more I might have recommended the i7-930 and an X58 board, but given the need to balance the system and get you a good monitor I thought this was best.

Generally speaking, people tend to over-estimate the CPU requirements for gaming. A faster CPU does not make SLI or crossfire better and is not a requirement.
!