Sign in with
Your question

Home Theatre PC AMD or Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2010 9:21:42 AM

We're looking to buy a mini ITX based pc to use as a media centre to watch movies/ record programs. I was wondering which of the two would run cooler?

I had a quick look , it seems most are intel based platforms why? My budget is around £200. I think it's between the core2 quad and phenom 2's.

More about : home theatre amd intel

a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 9:25:04 AM

Does your budget includes other components, or exclusive for the CPU? If it's the latter, the 32mm i3 or the better i5 would be your best bet. I'm not sure how much they sell it in Pounds, but it should be within that budget.
October 7, 2010 9:33:37 AM

Sorry that just motherboard and cpu. So you're saying the Intel I series runs alot cooler?
There is is room for expansion on the budget if need be.
But if am only recording freeview, I shouldn't need that much processing power right?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 9:43:58 AM

If that's the case, considering the mini ITX form factor, why not use the ION based dual core Atom? Sure it's not yet a 32mm, but the power consumption and HD playback capability will serve your needs perfectly. The processor however, is kinda weak. So multitasking will be an uphill journey for the little guy. :lol:  The best thing is, it's an all-in-one package (integrated CPU and GPU) and costs around $120. The rest of your budget can be used for a 2GB DDR2 RAM and a nice chic cube mini ITX case (or whatever your preference is). It's worth considering.
October 7, 2010 11:28:19 AM

i would go for what dam said intel atom
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 3:35:23 PM

Quote:
AMD. and Athlon II x2, and run it with the IGP, the HD4200 can provide me with enough graphcis to play L4D2, on medium settings, still getting great fps
it's cheaper but it's weaker (compared to the core series), but since it;s just a HTPC, go AMD

I wont buy the Atom though, it's platform's graphics will make HD movies feel like playing crysis on intel's GMA 4500, and those with Ions are a bit pricey

I believe I mentioned ION based Atom, not just Atom.

The only problem here is that mini ITX barrier. I'm not sure whether it's a must or not. But if it is, then the only choice is the ION or that expensive i5 build from ASRock. The latter would spoil the initial purpose of DIY build.

I'm a big fan of AMD myself. Check out my Signature ** edit: I mean "configuration". There, fixed it **, we have similar build. ;) 

But the company seems uninterested of making an all-in-one mini ITX to compete with the Atom. I really believe that if they do make one, the Atom market will be crushed. :D  But unfortunately, for now, the Intel Atom is the only option for low power consumption, cheap, all-in-one platform.

This reality makes me feel like a sheep with Intel hound dogs around. :pfff: 

Then again, a slightly bigger micro ATX consideration will open a broader set of options. Including that Athlon II X2 :p 
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2010 7:07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I believe I mentioned ION based Atom, not just Atom.
:sweat: 

I did mention
Quote:
those with Ions are a bit pricey

rite?

If u build a system with the Athlon II x2u, the whole system will only consume only a little more power than the atom platform considering the Ahtlon IIx2 250u has only a 25TDP, and the Atom's (Intel 945) board sucks power like nuts, even more on Nvidia's ION.........

Believe me, I own both an Atom and an Athlon Neo, underload they finish up their power under almost the same time

Well, what about the form factor issue? Have you seen any mini ITX for AM3 around, since I might missed one.

Again, we have another thing in common. I also have a Pine Trail for browsing purposes at my living room. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 3:45:38 AM

Which part of your post mention anything about the ASUS board? Well, as long as the issue is solved, then it's fine. Your point is clear.

BTW, that ASUS board is quite something. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI, SPDIF. One question though, how do you connect a 5.1 speaker to it? :heink: 
a c 343 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
October 8, 2010 4:22:20 AM

Does the atom really have enough for a HTPC? I never thought so.

I suggest one of the clarkdale 32nm Intel cpu's. Even the slowest G6950 should be sufficient, and it has integrated graphics which is good enough. The 32nm keeps the power requirements and heat down. You can put it in whatever case you want, but there are some nice mini-itx cases.

Here is a nice article on building such a system:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03/11/building-a-m...
October 8, 2010 7:56:11 AM

I would go with a i5.
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2010 8:15:32 AM

geofelt said:
Does the atom really have enough for a HTPC? I never thought so.

I suggest one of the clarkdale 32nm Intel cpu's. Even the slowest G6950 should be sufficient, and it has integrated graphics which is good enough. The 32nm keeps the power requirements and heat down. You can put it in whatever case you want, but there are some nice mini-itx cases.

Here is a nice article on building such a system:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03/11/building-a-m...

Just the Atom, of course you're right. But it's a different story with the ION chipset. Every reputable hardware reviewers agree that the ION is an ideal HTPC platform due to the HD playback capability, but still falls behind the new dual core Pine Trail in terms of processing power.
Quote:
an I5 is still too much for a HTPC, ur only gonna watch movies with it going that much on the CPU is off the purpose of the build.

The Pentium G will still cost more than the Athlon II x2
and I believe the price of the pentium G is roughly around that of the Athlon II x4, so what's the point ?
Agreed
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 8, 2010 1:27:30 PM

damasvara said:
Which part of your post mention anything about the ASUS board? Well, as long as the issue is solved, then it's fine. Your point is clear.

BTW, that ASUS board is quite something. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI, SPDIF. One question though, how do you connect a 5.1 speaker to it? :heink: 

The 3 analog 'outs' pass multi-channel PCM: fronts ::: surrounds ::: center/sub

I've been lusting after that little unit since it came out -- just can't find a place for it :lol: 
a c 120 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 9, 2010 5:26:27 PM

Most HTPC builds i've seen here on the forum and two friends recently are i3 1156 builds.
Intel Core i3-530 -£81.69 inc. VAT
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID...

MOBO-GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 -£76.05 inc. VAT
http://www.giga-byte.ca/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ -£53.85 inc. VAT
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192049
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2010 5:34:21 PM

Wisecracker said:
The 3 analog 'outs' pass multi-channel PCM: fronts ::: surrounds ::: center/sub

I've been lusting after that little unit since it came out -- just can't find a place for it :lol: 
Don't forget that board also has optical and coaxial out... AND the HDMI can carry 5.1 DD/DTS. Only thing missing is HD audio passthrough.

I've been trying to convince my wife that we need a small HTPC in the bedroom so I can buy one. Was thinking of going Sempron or 45W Athlon.
!