Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What to do with an "extra" system?

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2010 6:34:34 PM

My brother in law recently dropped off 3 "broken" XP machines. I was able to revive all three. He took the pick of the litter, I donated another, and I am left with the runt.

Intel socket 478 3.0 Ghz Prescott
1 GB 400 mhz RAM
Fresh OEM install of Windows XP
120 GB IDE HDD
40 GB IDE HDD

I threw the system in an old Enermax Chakra case. it breathes much better.

My question is does anyone have any idea of what I could possibly do with it. I have two Quad systems, an Asus G72 laptop, a HP Athlon X2 5200 network file server. My wife is set with a Mac Book Pro, a recent Dual core desktop and an ipad. I am not bragging, I just can't for the life of me think of anything I could use this system for. I am dual booting Ubuntu on one of the Quad machines.

Anybody have any good ideas, or is this system doomed to languish in the closet next to the parts bins?

More about : extra system

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2010 7:41:03 PM

You could give it to another family member: mom, dad, aunt, or uncle. They might enjoy it and would surely like to spend some time you, too. And you know they would call you if they had a problem with it. Shoot, I'll bet you could have some quality time with them, and even get a home-cooked meal.
August 2, 2010 8:03:46 PM

All my extended family is set with systems. Maybe you are right treefrog, what I may need is a computer intervention of sorts. Get outside more often, but computers are so cool. It is apparent that I just can't use another system. Maybe some fresh air and sunlight.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2010 10:48:58 PM

Sounds like a solid system for a Stand up/Tabletop MAME Arcade cabinet.

-Wolf sends
m
l
August 2, 2010 11:48:56 PM

I had no idea. I looked at cabinets, controls and emulators. As tempting as that is I just don't have the extra cash for a project like that as cool as it is. Definitely an idea I hadn't run across or thought of. I still look back on how many quarter I sunk into those games as a kid. Wolf thanks for a original suggestion. I was looking for something that wouldn't require that much money.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2010 11:56:53 PM

Donate it to a local school or to the salvation army. Take a tax deduction.
m
l
August 3, 2010 12:04:11 AM

I donated one of the systems, a compaq to a local elementary teacher that I know, but it being in a "gaming" case, she wasn't as excited about it. I think I will just let it sit and find a good home for it. It seems well suited for a tweenage boy, I threw a couple red fans and a few 4 led lights in it for good measure.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 12:28:20 AM

henrystrawn said:
I donated one of the systems, a compaq to a local elementary teacher that I know, but it being in a "gaming" case, she wasn't as excited about it. I think I will just let it sit and find a good home for it. It seems well suited for a tweenage boy, I threw a couple red fans and a few 4 led lights in it for good measure.

Try selling it on craigs list. People will appreciate a great buy more than a outright gift.
m
l
August 3, 2010 12:47:32 AM

Good Idea, but that's just not my style. I didn't pay anything for it, was a gift to me, and I think it should remain one.
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:38:35 AM

Good news, my wife is a Visual Technology Major in college, she as decided to "adopt" the system to "stay in touch with Windows XP". Thanks for the suggestions, since I did not pay anything for the system I really didn't feel right selling it. I also have not had good luck with the P4 3.0 Ghz Prescott 478 processors, two died on me in the third year of use. No overclocks at all.
m
l
August 3, 2010 10:38:56 AM

Best answer selected by henrystrawn.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 2:14:34 AM

henrystrawn said:
All my extended family is set with systems. Maybe you are right treefrog, what I may need is a computer intervention of sorts. Get outside more often, but computers are so cool. It is apparent that I just can't use another system. Maybe some fresh air and sunlight.

Yes, fresh air and sunlight! I have been looking at boats! Boats! Small boats without computers...does GPS count? Well, just looking. Computers are so much less expensive.
m
l
!