Trouble with getting my system to post / turn on

bigjonsp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Hey everybody I'm having a hard time with rebuilding my desktop as the old video card got baked. I decided to upgrade to more modern cpu, memory and vid card. I "stole" a pc build recommendation from here :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291072-31-upgrading-computer,

and then proceeded to upgrade the memory and video card.

The problem I am having is that when I hit the switch all I am getting is a moment of the fans turning on (a revolution or two) and then nothing.

I have gone to Fry's and got a new psu, so I think I can eliminate that problem as that didn't change any reactions.
I have double checked all of my connections from the psu, or hard disks, to the motherboard with no luck.
I have tried to boot with just one stick of memory and no luck.
I have gone through the troubleshooting guide here on the forums.
I have also tried to take everything out but the processor, same reation not even a error beep from the speaker.
I'm starting to think I have a mobo but I just want to double check that I'm not missing anything.

I am totally flummoxed by this and would love some help and ideas on what to do/ try next as I have reached the limit of my knowledge and would hate to give $70 to a computer repair shop to have them tell me something simple is wrong.

This is my build :

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BN1337

SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video ...

MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 870 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX

The hard drives are seagate 7200rpm sata , a 250 and 500.
A dvd and cd rw drive
A 3.5 floppy
and a usb expansion pci card
in a full tower with 3 fans up front, 2 in the back, and on on the side

Thanks in advance for any and all advice
(i hope all of my hyperlinks worked out)
Jonathan

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I feel your pain, the only time I have had this symptom was with an improperly seated CPU Heatsink. Try reinstalling your CPU and Heat sink. I know it's a pain to clean the CPU and HSF, but that did it for me. (stupid socket 775 push pins!!!!)

Give this a whirl, unless you get better advice from other forum members.

banthracis

Distinguished
Does it work again if you put old components back in?

If yes, swap RAM and GPU 1 at a time to see which is issue.

If no, then either start putting current components into a know to work PC, or start subbing in known to work components from another PC.