First time boot fail, psu clicks - nothing else

Wayward

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Problem: First Time Boot... no lights or anything, the PSU gives a "click" sound and the fan turns slightly then stops and nothing else happens.

First I'll get this out of the way quickly..

Case Antec Illusion 300
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Processor: i5-750
PSU: Antec EA 650W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800))
GPU: XFX Radeon 5770
Asus SATA 24X DVD Burner

I'm a first time builder, so minor mistakes may be the problem but I have essentially followed to letter a "How To" build using Will Smith's video from Tested.Com (http://www.tested.com/news/video-how-to-build-the-best-1500-gaming-pc-step-by-step/152/) as well as cross referenced it with Tecmo's how-to right here on Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building).

Any suggestions or steps I should take?

Wayward

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

I do not have a spare PSU, unfortunately, to check the system. I'll check into the bread-boarding though as I think that might help me see where the problem lies.

All the psu cables seem to be properly seated.

From PSU --> Optical Drive, Hard Drive (via SATA)
From PSU --> MB (via 8pin + 24pin)
From PSU --> GPU (via 6pin PCI-Express)
From PSU --> Case Fans (via Molex)

... hopefully I'm providing the right sort of information. If more information is needed let me know.

Did you verify the CPU/HSF power cable (3 or 4-wire) is properly connected to the "cpu_fan" connector on the motherboard? If so, go to the breadboarding phase.
-- If you get through POST there, you should check your stand-offs and screws to be sure you are using the correct mounting holes, and there is nothing shorting your motherboard to the case/chassis.
-- If still no POST, then is sounds like you have a bad PSU.

Wayward

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009

Woo, something simple - whew.

So yes, after "bread boarding" and checking one after one, it seems I made the silly mistake of combining all Case Fans (via molex) and then using the end of it (a 4 pin) to connect to the sys_fan 2 I foolishly thought I could get the mobo handle the case fans via this.

I'm currently installing the OS :) So thanks for the suggestions as it made me rightfully double-check my work. Glad it was an inexpensive fix, even at the price of my humility ;)

Now though, I do have to ask. I'm assuming the fans are working through the manually switches - I have several other connections called sys_fan 2 (4 pin), sys_fan (3 pin), and pwr_fan (3 pin) -- can I connect the case fans to one of these through the multi-molex connect I have going?

Sorry if my descriptions are off, I am very much a newbie. Thanks for the continued help though!

Glad you got it working. :bounce:

If you have female 3-pin or 4-pin connectors to the fans you can connect them to the board's fan connectors, they're powered. I would connect only one fan to one board fan connector, but others say you can connect more than 1, try 2 fans if you want to. If you don't have enough 3-pin or 4-pin converters for all your fans, just connect the remaining fans to the PSU's MOLEX connectors.

The board CAN control the fans connected to its 3-pin and/or 4-pin connections. This fan control is usually done through the BIOS or a software application. Unfortunately, neither the BIOS nor the software let you control the power/speed to all the board's fan connections, usually just the cpu_fan, one sys_fan, and maybe one other fan. :??:

Hehe, The old 'fans shorting out sytem' glitch,
Had Similar issue myself when I put 4x80mm's together in my Roof now I think about it, as I maneuvered them into place one set of wires came undone from the mass (Hadn't soldered them) and I nvr checked the red/black, just put them back together and wondered why my pc wouldn't run :) Glad you got sorted dude, and learned a little more about your pc than you thought you would :)
Moto

TRENDING THREADS