Sign in with
Your question

First time boot fail, psu clicks - nothing else

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2010 7:28:14 PM

Problem: First Time Boot... no lights or anything, the PSU gives a "click" sound and the fan turns slightly then stops and nothing else happens.

First I'll get this out of the way quickly..

Case Antec Illusion 300
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Processor: i5-750
PSU: Antec EA 650W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800))
GPU: XFX Radeon 5770
Asus SATA 24X DVD Burner

I'm a first time builder, so minor mistakes may be the problem but I have essentially followed to letter a "How To" build using Will Smith's video from Tested.Com (http://www.tested.com/news/video-how-to-build-the-best-...) as well as cross referenced it with Tecmo's how-to right here on Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...).

Any suggestions or steps I should take?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2010 7:30:52 PM

First step, check fuse in psu,
do you have an alternative psu you can use to check rest of system?
Failing that, find the breadboarding sticky on the top of this homebuilt list,
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2010 7:32:01 PM

With the power cord unplugged from the wall, verify that all your power cables are properly and firmly seated, including the 8-pin CPU connector, and the CPU/HSF connector.
Related resources
August 2, 2010 7:46:50 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
First step, check fuse in psu,
do you have an alternative psu you can use to check rest of system?
Failing that, find the breadboarding sticky on the top of this homebuilt list,
Moto

I do not have a spare PSU, unfortunately, to check the system. I'll check into the bread-boarding though as I think that might help me see where the problem lies.

treefrog07 said:
With the power cord unplugged from the wall, verify that all your power cables are properly and firmly seated, including the 8-pin CPU connector, and the CPU/HSF connector.

All the psu cables seem to be properly seated.

From PSU --> Optical Drive, Hard Drive (via SATA)
From PSU --> MB (via 8pin + 24pin)
From PSU --> GPU (via 6pin PCI-Express)
From PSU --> Case Fans (via Molex)

... hopefully I'm providing the right sort of information. If more information is needed let me know.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2010 8:46:45 PM

Did you verify the CPU/HSF power cable (3 or 4-wire) is properly connected to the "cpu_fan" connector on the motherboard? If so, go to the breadboarding phase.
-- If you get through POST there, you should check your stand-offs and screws to be sure you are using the correct mounting holes, and there is nothing shorting your motherboard to the case/chassis.
-- If still no POST, then is sounds like you have a bad PSU.
August 2, 2010 9:24:59 PM

treefrog07 said:
Did you verify the CPU/HSF power cable (3 or 4-wire) is properly connected to the "cpu_fan" connector on the motherboard? If so, go to the breadboarding phase.
-- If you get through POST there, you should check your stand-offs and screws to be sure you are using the correct mounting holes, and there is nothing shorting your motherboard to the case/chassis.
-- If still no POST, then is sounds like you have a bad PSU.

Woo, something simple - whew.

So yes, after "bread boarding" and checking one after one, it seems I made the silly mistake of combining all Case Fans (via molex) and then using the end of it (a 4 pin) to connect to the sys_fan 2 I foolishly thought I could get the mobo handle the case fans via this.

I'm currently installing the OS :)  So thanks for the suggestions as it made me rightfully double-check my work. Glad it was an inexpensive fix, even at the price of my humility ;) 

Now though, I do have to ask. I'm assuming the fans are working through the manually switches - I have several other connections called sys_fan 2 (4 pin), sys_fan (3 pin), and pwr_fan (3 pin) -- can I connect the case fans to one of these through the multi-molex connect I have going?

Sorry if my descriptions are off, I am very much a newbie. Thanks for the continued help though!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 12:07:10 AM

Glad you got it working. :bounce: 

If you have female 3-pin or 4-pin connectors to the fans you can connect them to the board's fan connectors, they're powered. I would connect only one fan to one board fan connector, but others say you can connect more than 1, try 2 fans if you want to. If you don't have enough 3-pin or 4-pin converters for all your fans, just connect the remaining fans to the PSU's MOLEX connectors.

The board CAN control the fans connected to its 3-pin and/or 4-pin connections. This fan control is usually done through the BIOS or a software application. Unfortunately, neither the BIOS nor the software let you control the power/speed to all the board's fan connections, usually just the cpu_fan, one sys_fan, and maybe one other fan. :??: 
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 6:34:55 AM

Hehe, The old 'fans shorting out sytem' glitch,
Had Similar issue myself when I put 4x80mm's together in my Roof now I think about it, as I maneuvered them into place one set of wires came undone from the mass (Hadn't soldered them) and I nvr checked the red/black, just put them back together and wondered why my pc wouldn't run :)  Glad you got sorted dude, and learned a little more about your pc than you thought you would :) 
Moto
!