reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
hey guys i just bought a Gigabyte Radeon HD 5830 (65$ off and free shipping, great deal).

the onyl slight problem is that because of my sata ports location on my motherboard, and my usage of them, the card bends ever so slightly upwards. I don't think there is anything wrong, in fact you won't notice if you don't know, but it is bugging me.

will the card be alright, and will anything be affected by it's slight bend (longevity, performance etc)?

otherwise it's working great, thanks for the help?

Solution
Hey.

I had a card in a dell case a while back that wouldn't sit properly with the PCI bracket clips... as a result the card wouldn't sit in the slot properly and would seem to 'bend' ever so slightly.

Without getting into specifics, i was worried and wanted to make sure everything was ok so i ran some load temp tests and found out the card was running about 2c hotter when 'bent' than when 'flat'..

Well because of the fact that to get it to sit flat i had to put something underneath it inside my case to support it, it wasn't a long term solution, so i've just been running it with a wonky gpu...

Been like that for months now and it seems to be just fine.. no further notable incrase in temps or drops in performance.

you could always...

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hey.

I had a card in a dell case a while back that wouldn't sit properly with the PCI bracket clips... as a result the card wouldn't sit in the slot properly and would seem to 'bend' ever so slightly.

Without getting into specifics, i was worried and wanted to make sure everything was ok so i ran some load temp tests and found out the card was running about 2c hotter when 'bent' than when 'flat'..

Well because of the fact that to get it to sit flat i had to put something underneath it inside my case to support it, it wasn't a long term solution, so i've just been running it with a wonky gpu...

Been like that for months now and it seems to be just fine.. no further notable incrase in temps or drops in performance.

you could always get some SATA extensions if you're worried as they cost a hell of a lot less than a new GPU, but even if that does fix your problem the card is still gonna lag downwards due to weight and gravity, so i wouldn't worry too much :)

Solution