faramarz123

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
hi.
i have a 2 TB external desktop USB 2 WD which i have since sep 2010. it was working fine till today when i was trying to copy some data in it. it suddenly got "not responding". and after removing it and attaching it again the little light in the front of the device keeps flashing and it doesnt seem to work anymore. it was 98 % full when i was trying to copy more , i dunno if it had something to do with the capacity. and nothing like physical damage.water or anything. if it cant handle more than 98 % how can i delete some of the data in it !? and also the data is super important so formatting is off the table.the windows even dont show the drive anymore !. Any advice ?!
thanks in advance

faramarz123

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

no. it doesnt recognize it. just the little light keep blinking. the powering process seems to be stuck because plugging and unplugging doesnt make a difference . keeps blinking.

hmm im suspecting a hard drive failure. now you have two options

if you are tech savy you can take the hard drive out of the enclosure and plug it in internally (while your pc is off) with sata and power cables like a normal hard drive and pray it will show up in windows orrr you can go to a computer store and try to get your data retrieved for some fee

faramarz123

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

u mean that my harddrive is gone ?! its not repairable or something ?! why did it get like this in the first place!

It may not have gone beyond recovery yet. If you can see how to get it out of its enclosure as alvine suggested, you may find it will be recognised in Windows - possibly in Computer Management if not in Explorer.

You could buy a USB converter quite cheaply to connect it to your system. Another idea is to use a Linux operating system as a LiveCD in your computer. It doesn't need a hard disk and won't impact or upset your Windows system at all but it may be able to mount a disk that Windows can't so you could transfer files to the internal disk.

Post back for more details on that if you like the sound of it.