Updating my system for 2010, UPDATED!!

Hebed118

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Pease view updated build within thread

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok fellas, the time has come for me to finally be able to update my current system. My initial build was back in 2006-2007. With that being said, I have not been keeping up too much on the industry. Below are my initial thoughts on my next build. Feel free to chip in any comments or advice that may help me. Am I heading in the right direction with this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also, to offer a little background, I’m a PC gamer and I also run several graphic design applications. I would like to future proof my build as much as possible. Not looking to spend over $1500 for the update. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Case:
Antec 900 –Currently own, would like to carry over to my new build. Love the case; however does anyone foresee any size issues?

CPU Cooler:
Zalman 9700 – Currently own, would like to carry over to my new build. No complaints.

Mother Board:
This is pretty much a grey area for me. I have been looking around a bit trying to decide. Feel free to offer up some recommendations. I currently have a Gigabyte and have been very pleased with it, so I’m thinking of going with the GA-X58A-UD3R.

CPU:
I’m going to go with an Intel Core i7, either 2.8 or 2.93 GHz.

Memory:
I would also like some recommendations for this as well. I’ve taken a look at the G-Skill Trident-2000 series. However, this is only a 4GB kit, tempted to explore the 6GB kits.

HDD:
Currently going to go with a 1TB drive for storage and I would like to get into a SDD for some games and other applications including my operating system (Windows 7). Haven’t looked at them too too much, but I’d like something around the 60-128GB range.

GPU:
X2 Sparkle/EVGA GeForce 460 1GB or X2 ATI Sapphire 5850

Thanks for all the help!

1) the i7-930 currently sells at the similar price to a i7-920. Either can be conservatively overclocked to 975 speeds. If you are near a microcenter, they will sell a 930 to walk-ins for $199. A great deal.

2) A X58 motherboard will best use a 6gb kit of ram. Do not pay more for faster speeds or better timings with the i7 cpu's. The memory controller is so good at feeding the cpu with ram data that speed makes negligible difference in real(vs. synthetic benchmarks) application performance pr FPS. Some graphic applications thrive on lots of ram. If yours do, you may want to consider a 12gb kit up front. The price premium for 4gb sticks has come down. It is now about 15-20%.

3) Wait for fall when gen3 SSD's will appear. Prices will drop considerably. You might install in a 160gb partition, planning to clone that to a SSD later. Otherwise, the Intel X25-M 160gb gen2 is a good performer for a OS. Plan on implementing AHCI up front so you can get the benefit of the trim command passthru.

4) Case is very good. Expect no issues. On the cooler, you may need a adapter for your new socket.

5) GTX460 1gb is a great unit, equivalent or better than the 5850 at a smaller price. The good thing is that it scales amazingly well in SLI if you ever want more.
It should be very good at 1080P resolutions. If you are looking at 2560 x 1600, then you need a stronger graphics configuration.

Hebed118

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Case - Antec 900 - Keep from old system.

CPU Cooler - Zalman 9700 - Keep from old system and order bracket.

Mother Board - EVGA X58 1366 Classified or Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

CPU - Intel Core i7 930

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

SDD - Still up in the air about this. I would like something 80GB+. Any recommendations on solid performers?

GPU - EVGA 460 1GB x2

PSU - Stay current - 900w

DVD Drive - Stay Current

THoughts? Comments? Concerns? Recommendations?

Thanks!