Sign in with
Your question

Using virtu with a Sandybridge Z68 Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 30, 2011 6:55:17 PM

Hi,

I recentrly bought a Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 S1155 Motherboard, and an Intel 2600k sandybridge CPU, with 16GB of Ram.

From what I read about Virtu, it allows the use of the Dedicated GPU of you video card to go through the GPU inside the CPU 2600k one.

I have been trying to find a way to make it work but I connecting the video card on the motherboard's DVI, the monitor gets no signal if the dedicated card is onboard....

And if I connect the monitor to the dedicated vid card I can't install the virtu software.... so no goodies from it....

I would like to know how to make it work.

Thanks in Advance
June 9, 2011 2:45:35 PM

SalamandrixX said:
Hi,

I recentrly bought a Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 S1155 Motherboard, and an Intel 2600k sandybridge CPU, with 16GB of Ram.

From what I read about Virtu, it allows the use of the Dedicated GPU of you video card to go through the GPU inside the CPU 2600k one.

I have been trying to find a way to make it work but I connecting the video card on the motherboard's DVI, the monitor gets no signal if the dedicated card is onboard....

And if I connect the monitor to the dedicated vid card I can't install the virtu software.... so no goodies from it....

I would like to know how to make it work.

Thanks in Advance

Howdy!

I just ordered the same MoBo and the 2600k from newegg about 30 mins ago. Anyway; to solve your problem; I believe this is the solution.

Go into your BIOS and make the 2600k the main graphics unit. On the same page, enable multiple GPUs. Plug your HDMI/DVI into the MoBo and enjoy!

I hope that helps!

-iS_tech_geek
June 9, 2011 3:55:47 PM

Well I did solve the problem last week, by activating the the 2600k GPU on the motherboard and putting the the dedicated card setup as secondary on the bios. And managed to make it work with the monitor plugged into the motherboard's DVI.

The problem now is that every time I start the computer, the Catalyst drivers I installed previously say I need to update them... but can't find suitable drivers... nevertheless I started the game Eveonline.com using Virtu, and it worked well, but once I closed the game and went to windows... the colors got f*cked up and could barely see anything...

So no idea how to fix this...

I hope I don't have to restart the computer everytime i finished playing a game....

Related resources
June 9, 2011 5:11:07 PM

Hmmmm. I use nVidia (Gtx 580 fermi). This is gonna sound silly; but, try rolling back your drivers and ignoring the updates.
August 23, 2011 11:05:21 PM

Recent benchmarks show that virtu slows video preformance, compared to a dedicated card without virtu. The avarage power saving of 1W isn't worth that. Only when you watch (or burn) a lot of movies you will save 10W avarage, but then you won't need a dedicated card.
Also, the virtu drivers are not supported by all software. It's not fun to see you're desktop unwanted.

So, I wouldn't recommend virtu.

This isn't an answer to your question, but I think it will help you solve your problem.
!