Sign in with
Your question

How do i copy a folder from a corrupt hard disk

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2012 5:24:41 PM

Help!!! i need an urgent response

My computer system has a hard disk problem, i have a very important folder on my system hard disk(backup) that in wanted to copy but the hard disk had been corrupted, i don't want to format it because of my document.
HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS?
a c 104 G Storage
October 22, 2012 8:20:58 PM

Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

A little more info would be helpful so we can give you the best advice to fix the problem.
At present, we don't know exactly what the problem is!

What is the make/model#/size of your HDD? And is it an internal SATA, IDE, or external USB, eSATA, Firewire connected?
What do you mean by corrupted? Does the BIOS recognize the HDD, is it seen in the Device Manager, and is it listed in Windows Explorer with a Drive Letter?

Also go to Disk Management (right click My Computer, Manage, Computer Management, in the lower left click on Disk Management). Please upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box so we can see exactly how it is listed, partitioned, and what file system is on it.
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:31:37 AM

can you still boot into your OS? is this your boot drive or a storage drive?
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2012 6:37:20 PM

IBRAHEEM said:
Help!!! i need an urgent response

My computer system has a hard disk problem, i have a very important folder on my system hard disk(backup) that in wanted to copy but the hard disk had been corrupted, i don't want to format it because of my document.
HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS?

when I lost data from an hard drive by formatting it on my PC. I was able to restore all lost data by using the software called windows data recovery . For more information and free download here http://windowsdatarecovery-software.blogspot.in
m
l
November 5, 2012 7:49:17 AM

use winhex extraction your files.
m
l
March 20, 2013 11:14:03 PM

Recently, I also encountered the similar problems.
After inserting my WD flash drive to my computer, a message popped out and asked me to format it. It was also displayed as local drive, not previous removable drive. I knew the formatting could erase all my inner files. So, I could not do that, the inner files were all my business files and very important for me. Could I directly try the recovery tool mentioned above? Have you restored all your data back? I don’t want to loose any file inside it.
m
l
March 21, 2013 6:51:49 PM

I don’t know whether the recovery tool motioned above works well or not. But, I really prefer to share my experiences with you. I hope it will give you some clues.
A month ago, my Samsung external hard drive also received the “not formatted” error warning. But, all my files were backed up on this drive, including my work files, trip photos and favorite videos. That was really a nightmare to me. As you had done, I also posted some threads, read a lot of related topics and tried a lot of recovery tool. Finally, I found a free hard drive recovery tool here that had successfully restored all my files back for free. I was really great.
Edit: You’d better not save new file on this drive before you have recovered all your data.
You also have to back up your important data regularly in the future, just like me.
m
l
!