Asus motherboard - onboard raid controller break?

surfline22_24

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Hi.

I have the Asus M4N78 motherboard which has the onboard Nvidia RAID support. I had recently installed 4 x 2TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. In addition, I have a separate OS drive. After a week, my computer no longer recognized any of the drives including the drives in the RAID array and the OS drive. They were not detected in the Motherboard BIOS or the NVidia RAID controller menu in the bios.

I'm assuming the onboard RAID controller must of broken, maybe it couldn't support all of that. The problem is I need to get my data off the RAID5 array. Any ideas how to do this? If I buy a new motherboard with RAID5 support it won't have the RAID information as my motherboard that broke, so I don't think it will detect my old RAID5 to get the data back. I think I will only be able to create a new array. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

RealBeast

Titan
I would probably try iRecover ( http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/irecover.htm ) which has a trial that basically shows you if it can recover your files and then you have to buy it to do the recovery.

Two great lessons here, NEVER rely on RAID 5 as a backup -- RAID is only a fault tolerant storage method. And if you really need to use RAID 5 for important data buy a high quality RAID controller that you can easily replace, not a low quality motherboard "solution."