Problems installing a second graphics card

I decided to treat myself and give my computer an upgrade to 3D-readiness which in my mind also meant increasing my number of screens to 3 as well. I already had 2 screens, a 24" HP and a 19" LG, running off an Nvidia GTX 295 and I was hoping to simply add a second independent card to run my new 3D monitor (Alienware Optx AW2310). This is where I've hit problems though, my second card is a Nvidia GTX 480 however when I try to boot my PC with both cards it either gets stuck on the windows logo or moves onto a black screen with a move able cursor and then stays on that. I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT.

I've tried both cards separately and they both work, it's simply when both are connected that it refuses to boot up. My motherboard is the ASUS Rampage II Extreme so has 3 DVI-E slots and the layout I'm trying to use is: GTX 480 -> GTX 295 -> soundcard. I'm not trying to use the cards in Sli however I'm not sure if the motherboard has a switch that needs to be turned on for more than 1 card regardless of if it's in Sli or not.

I'm not sure if there's something that needs to be done with the BIOS settings either? I don't think it's a power problem as I have a 1250W coolermaster supply.

Hopefully there's a nice simple fix to get the second card running and it's simply my inexperience that's failing me. Any help is much appreciated :)


(P.S. 3D Vision is AWESOME)
12 answers Last reply
More about problems installing graphics card
  1. What happens if you don't put the soundcard in?
  2. james117 said:
    I decided to treat myself and give my computer an upgrade to 3D-readiness which in my mind also meant increasing my number of screens to 3 as well. I already had 2 screens, a 24" HP and a 19" LG, running off an Nvidia GTX 295 and I was hoping to simply add a second independent card to run my new 3D monitor (Alienware Optx AW2310). This is where I've hit problems though, my second card is a Nvidia GTX 480 however when I try to boot my PC with both cards it either gets stuck on the windows logo or moves onto a black screen with a move able cursor and then stays on that. I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT.

    I've tried both cards separately and they both work, it's simply when both are connected that it refuses to boot up. My motherboard is the ASUS Rampage II Extreme so has 3 DVI-E slots and the layout I'm trying to use is: GTX 480 -> GTX 295 -> soundcard. I'm not trying to use the cards in Sli however I'm not sure if the motherboard has a switch that needs to be turned on for more than 1 card regardless of if it's in Sli or not.

    I'm not sure if there's something that needs to be done with the BIOS settings either? I don't think it's a power problem as I have a 1250W coolermaster supply.

    Hopefully there's a nice simple fix to get the second card running and it's simply my inexperience that's failing me. Any help is much appreciated :)


    (P.S. 3D Vision is AWESOME)

    Nevermind, posted wrong =S. Should be able some how.
  3. Mousemonkey said:
    What happens if you don't put the soundcard in?


    Same thing happens with the soundcard out. It also happens no matter which slots I put the cards in.
  4. Have you tried un-installing the vga driver, fitting both cards and then booting up?
  5. sli requier to same cards model your gtx 295 is from older generation and it doesnt support multible screens and dosent support DX 11 it can boot windows 7 its ok but the card will work in its half power you just have to bring a same card from the same generation google it to find out more and im sorry for that
  6. james117 said:
    I'm not trying to use the cards in Sli


    Anonymous said:
    sli requier to same cards model your gtx 295 is from older generation and it doesnt support multible screens and dosent support DX 11 it can boot windows 7 its ok but the card will work in its half power you just have to bring a same card from the same generation google it to find out more and im sorry for that


    If you go back and re read the OP you may see why your post is pointless.
  7. Mousemonkey said:
    Have you tried un-installing the vga driver, fitting both cards and then booting up?



    Just tried a fresh boot after uninstalling all the Nvidia drivers and still no joy. Although this time my PSU fan did start to go into overdrive.
  8. It does seem a bit of a stretch to think that your PSU may not be up to the job but still...
  9. If your psu fan gets super loud, then it's time for a new psu. Try to take out the gtx295 and use only the gtx 480
  10. Just tried again, PSU didn't make a racket this time (I think last time it was because I hadn't reattached the side panal properly and it was rattling).

    I can't see it being my PSU though, it's less than a year old and coolermaster are generally a quality make, my neighbour has the same PSU and runs a 3-way Sli setup :/
  11. Sorry for the DP, wouldn't let me edit.

    Tried borrowing a power supply and still having the same problem. My friend suggested an IRQ conflict - do those things still crop up?
  12. james117 said:
    My friend suggested an IRQ conflict - do those things still crop up?

    I haven't seen one in years, is there any chance that you could try and borrow another PC to see whether both cards would install OK on a different mobo? Just in case it is your motherboard that is the problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics