Sandy Bridge - New CPU's Worth The Wait?

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Just up for discussion. I'm curious to know more about these. I'm working on my latest build (X58 i7-980x Project) but i did a bit (just a tad skimming, i was eating lunch xD) about the new cpus coming out based of the Sandy Bridge architecture?

I already read up about a new i7 990x to be released sometime 2011 (lol like tomorrow) based of GulfTown?

What do you guys think about these new cpu's? Think it's worth putting of the i7-980x? (or maybe aiming @ the i7-990x? xD)

It's an open discussion guys, i don't mind if you answer my question or not (in bold), i mostly just want more info on these new brains coming in x)

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
well "should" and "will" are two different things xD.
I haven't yet heard about a new i7 Six-core coming out based of the new sandy bridge arc. The i7-990x will still be based of the Gulftown arc. So that's not gonna be much of an improvement.

The quad i7's and i5's will be sandy bridge's tho. Along with a new socket if im not mistaken, the 1155?

lol yeah, i want to make a build that will last me for at least a year xD.

OP: It sounds like you are about ready to build. However the Sandy Bridge models that will be released early next year are mainstream models - the performance models (> (990X) won't be out until Q2 of next year.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

i figured it wud be something like that. tho for performance i dont the 990x is it since its not gonna be based off the sandy bridge arc.

but whats so great about this arc compared to the current one that i hear is so great?

What is the purpose of your build.? Depending on that, purchasing the i7 980X might turn out to be a joke or a minimum requirement.. As for the waiting part, if you believe 2011 is tomorrow, then i guess its best to wait for the SandyBridge as it'll be releasing in few hours..

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hey man if your games run fast without a lag i say wait, it's when you notice your precious system doesn't perform anymore like it used to that you upgrade im sure a few people would agree

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

I mostly just want a six-core. I don't do intensive work, or use any apps that require alot of brainpower, most of it is just gaming and the occasional facebook. Yeah it's pretty much overkill but i just want the 980x. I don't "need" it. just want it, lol.

Well no they don't lag, but I've been waiting with my 775 build for a while now. Not that it's not a good system, it still rapes just about any game out there xD but i just wanna build a new system. I just felt it was time for an upgrade xD.

If you haven't done so already, you should take a look at Anandtech's Sandy Bridge preview. Considering this was an engineering sample i5 quadcore chip with no working turbo and clock locked at 3.1GHz, and yet it managed to keep up with the i7-980X in quite a few games, that is pretty impressive. The shipping CPUs in January should be even better, esp. if you get one of the "K" unlocked multiplier models. And yes it is on the new 1155 socket and has the onboard GPU.

If you can wait until March or so, the performance and extreme Sandy Bridge models on the s2011 socket should be out, no GPU, and I'm guessing at least 8 cores available if not 10. Then you might be sorry you bought a measly 6-core last-gen CPU :p.

OMG.!! If you want it and can afford it, then just get it.. It by all means is the fastest desktop processor available for the money.. You'll surely get the bragging rights.. However, depending on how the top line Sandy Bridge processors turn out to be, your bragging rights may be short lived..

P.S. - Bulldozer is the codename for AMD's upcoming line of processors..

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Let it come out a bit and breathe and see if they push out slightly faster CPU's in that range but a normal core i7 should be more than enough

Well no they don't lag, but I've been waiting with my 775 build for a while now. Not that it's not a good system, it still rapes just about any game out there xD but i just wanna build a new system. I just felt it was time for an upgrade xD.

For now, WAIT. Everyone is releasing new products early next year; AMD Bulldozer, Intel Sandy Bridge, and NVIDIA/AMD GPU refreshes. No point in wasting money on soon to be obsolete parts...

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
hmmm. well i suppose i could make a small gaming build. maybe use an ITX board. =P

well AMD is not interesting to me lol - NVIDIA yes (GTX 495? xD).

And from what i read on Anandtech's review, they will be releasing new cpus early next year but for mainstrain only. Any performance cpus won't be out till after the Q3.

That's at least 6 months. But still, i am curious to know what they will come out with xD.

The main thing I'm looking for is long-term socket support, something its clear the i5 platform is NOT getting. Performance wise, given how badly GPU bound most games are, I don't see any significant performance increases unless clocks also go up.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
well "long-term" in the technology world is not very common anymore. I won't be surprised if after the new 1155 sockets come out - within the year new sockets will be announced -_-...

Which is why i was interested in the whole sandy bridge thing. Tho i'm not interested in quad-cores, it's still good info to know. If i know for sure there will be a 10-core out then for $1000, then I'm more than willing to wait, compared to a six-core @ $1000 now.

You seem to be more interested in raw number of cores rather than number of cores useful for your purpose.. Well then, by all means get the i7 980X.. Like i said before, it is (and IMO will stay for sometime) the fastest desktop (single socket) CPU.. Enable hyper-threading and you'll see 12 operating cores in your device manager.. That should satisfy you.. If not then, i believe AMD Opteron line has 12 core CPU's also.. Pair two of them and you'll have 24 cores operating for you..

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

that made me lol xD. :lol: eh I'm a picky guy, can't help it lol. And wholy scat 24 cores? *drool* lol that might have been an option, but me no likey AMD. I think i'll stick to Intel lol.

I suppose i can always build a new desktop whenever the next performance cpus come out xD.